Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 03:29 PM

Can someone answer my questions about the Midnight Buffets on Carnival Cruise Lines, I have seen alot of post saying that the midnight buffet is not alot of food, now when I was on the Carnival Imagination in 06 I thought the midnight buffet was nice and there was alot of food too me, but that was my first one. Has the size of the midnight buffet decreased since then and why are posters saying that there was not alot of food at the midnight buffet

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM

There has been talk of reduced midnight buffets. But I can not comment for sure for another 2 weeks. There used to be both standard midnight buffets and the "gala" midnight buffet where the chef's go all our and provide "food art". But, with the advent of the 24 hour sandwhich and pizza venues, they may be trimming back on having a midnight buffet. I will let you know when I return.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-28-2008, 04:14 AM

I haven't noticed it being smaller. In fact, it seems to have alot more offerings than before to me. I love the Mexican night when they have it.

Dwayne
Old 05-28-2008, 07:00 AM

I have found the short cruises on Carnival replace the Gala midnight buffet with the Mexican night on the Lido deck. They go all out with the ice carvings, and food carvings just as they would for the Gala buffet. Longer cruises of 7 nights plus still have the Gala buffet. Many cruise lines have cut down on the midnight buffets. It is time consuming and with so many other eating options people just aren't coming to the midnight buffet like they used to. So then you have a lot of waste.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:04 AM

How much food do you need at midnight? Isn't there enough to feast on all day long? Give me a break...

Sonny
Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Carnival calls it the "late night bistro" as I recall. I rarely go to it, since as Sonny notes, how much food can one eat in a day? But I don't stay up late on cruises, so maybe it is different for those who are up to 3 or 4 am.

The days of big gala midnight buffets are almost over. One big reason? Too much food is wasted and the lines are trying to minimize waste. I certainly agree. Wasting food for the sake of extravagance is unacceptable. But as previously stated, with virtually all new ships offering food 24/7 (and I don't mean room service) there is no need for a buffet.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM

I agree with cutting down on the waste, especially since the crew members aren't allowed to eat any of the left overs. Sometimes they are allowed some of the pastry, but that is rare. I can't imagine throwing away all that food. You can still take some nice pictures. At midnight, I don't want to be filling up on food. I think the cruise lines found that most people don't want to eat a lot that late, but for those that do, there are plenty of options. Costa had a neat idea, I thought, it was called a taste of a certain country. They set up 5-6 areas and served foods local to the region. We had Spain and Portugal on our last 2 Costa cruises.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny V:
How much food do you need at midnight? Isn't there enough to feast on all day long? Give me a break...

Sonny
and the anwser to that is:

There Isn't there enough to feast on all day long...

Old 05-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny V:

Sonny
Hey
On my first cruise I ws very impressed with the midnight buffet and could not wait to attend, and yes I had ate alot during the day but I still had some room left for the midnight buffet.
On another note I can see alot of food being wasted on it as well, but it was so nice to see all the different foods and carvings. I would like to see it on the ship I am going on in August but if I do go on another cruise after this one and they have done away with it I will be alright with it because I have experienced it once, but I would like to see it one more time on my cruise in August

Old 05-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
There has been talk of reduced midnight buffets. But I can not comment for sure for another 2 weeks. There used to be both standard midnight buffets and the "gala" midnight buffet where the chef's go all our and provide "food art". But, with the advent of the 24 hour sandwhich and pizza venues, they may be trimming back on having a midnight buffet. I will let you know when I return.
Please Jim let me know because I will defintely be checking back for your answer and Thanks ahead of time.
Nita

Closed Thread

Tags
al, birmingham, buffet, buffets, carnival, cruise, cruises, hw, imagination, midnight, ships, short