Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2007, 11:27 AM

My DH and I took a cruise to celebrate my 50th birthday. That wasn't the greatest memory but leaving Key West at sunset was so cool. We'd docked by Mallory Square and as the ship was departing, a lone bagpiper dressed in a kilt was marching back and forth playing "Amazing Grace". Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by peter l:
...on our first cruise on RCL's Song of America and sailing out of Puerto Rico.
P1

Song of America was a great ship. The Maitre'd was a good friend, George from Grenada. I have lost touch with him but in 1985 we were invited aboard for dinner and it happened to be around our 10th anniversary. George made sure we were treated wonderfully and even had a cake for us that said, Happy Anniversary" and he didn't know it was that week. We didn't sail her then but never the less, had a wonderful meal and memory aboard which will not be forgotten, thanks to a good friend.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Banned

I have some good memories cruising, the best one was when I threw my "friend" overboard when he was all sauced and watched him drown. It doesnt get much better than that!!!

Just kidding. I think one on my favorite memories was sailing out of NYC. Was my first time there and really cool.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:19 PM

What a neat thread! Thank you, Carlg, for starting it.

For our 40th anniversary, I told my husband that I didn't want a party or gifts, I just wanted to be on a Caribbean island. He agreed and we sailed on the Summit to the Southern Caribbean. We splurged and got a balcony for this cruise. When we walked into our cabin and saw our own private balcony we both got tears in our eyes. It was like a fantasy! It also started something, because it would be difficult for us to cruise again without a balcony!

My other favorite, wonderful memory was last November when we took our three children and their spouses on an eight day cruise aboard the Radiance of the Seas. We have two albums full of pictures showing eight happy people! We rented tuxes for the guys (their choice!), the women had pretty evening gowns, and the formal picture is a treasure. It just doesn't get any better than this!

A funny memory is from our cruise on the Summit. Our tablemates were great! In the center of the table was a stem of some kind of flower--sweet pea or something. It was always in our way. Finally one of the men broke off the stem and put it on his salad! Took care of the obstructed view!

We have had fun cruises, met many nice people, and learned so much about the Caribbean islands. We are grateful to have had these neat experiences and look forward to many more!

Nadine
Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 PM

I don't have any memories to share yet. We are taking our first cruisetour to Alaska with Island Princess on May 28th. Reading all of the wonderful stories shared on this thread makes me realize that we made a great decision in planning a cruise. Each one of you has memories that you will treasure for a life-time. I can't wait to make memories of my own!
Thanks for sharing!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:11 PM

mob122905, I am so excited for you to be going on your first cruise! With our kids, two of the couples had never been on a cruise. After a few hours, they were hooked!

We are going to Alaska in May also and I can't wait! We will all be waiting to hear about the wonderful memories you make on your cruise.

Nadine
Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Nadine,

Thank you so much. You are so sweet. My husband and I are very excited about this trip. Just hope my passport comes arrives so that I can actually take the trip!

This will not only be our first cruise, but will also be the first extended vacation that my husband and I take without our children. We always did "family vacations". Our son now lives in another state and our daughter got married in December. So, when the "empty nest" started to kick in, we decided to do something nice for ourselves. Needless to say, our children are thrilled for us. We can't wait....wish it was the end of May! LOL

Keep the stories coming. I love reading about the adventures that all of you have experienced. It helps to eleviate some of the anxiety related to being a "first time" cruiser.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

Mob122906: Making memories 101: Be sure to set aside at least one morning and watch the sunrise with your husband. A hot cup of coffee, the rising sun over the Alaskan wildnerness, and your hubby, makes for a fond memory. Watching an Alaskan sunset, at 10:30 or 11:00pm with your hubby and a nice nightcap is also a great memory waiting to happen.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Just remember that the sunset in Alaska the last week of May is after midnight and the sunrise will be about three hours later.

Need some cruise help?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

Thanks for correcting me on the times of sunset and sunrise; I was there in July. Besides that, I'm really time and spatially disoriented.

So you take a late afternoon nap, eat a big meal, and take in the sunset and sunrise in the same sitting. NOW THAT'S A MEMORY! Oops, sorry Cheffy, I'll stop yelling.

Closed Thread

Tags
cameron, cruising, park, waco