Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Greatest Memories Cruising (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/35156-greatest-memories-cruising.html)

carlg 03-12-2007 07:03 AM

I have read all these great posts of Memories and things people have done that I thought it would be a fun post to "list" some greatest memories (sunrise, sunset, formal nights). One of mine (and I have many)has been sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, past the numerous apartment buildings. People throwing going away parties for those on the cruise ships going by (any reason for a party I guess)! Everyone in the apartments are waving and the people on deck waving back, the Carribean band playing, everyone toasting.......and then the ship reaches the end of the jetty and the open water....one long blast of the horn as she hits the open sea......something unbelievable to be a part of!!

carlg 03-12-2007 07:03 AM

I have read all these great posts of Memories and things people have done that I thought it would be a fun post to "list" some greatest memories (sunrise, sunset, formal nights). One of mine (and I have many)has been sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, past the numerous apartment buildings. People throwing going away parties for those on the cruise ships going by (any reason for a party I guess)! Everyone in the apartments are waving and the people on deck waving back, the Carribean band playing, everyone toasting.......and then the ship reaches the end of the jetty and the open water....one long blast of the horn as she hits the open sea......something unbelievable to be a part of!!

penny3333 03-12-2007 09:27 AM

I, too, love sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. I was born and raised there, so it reminds me of all the great times I had growing up. I worked for a steamship company at one time, we sailed out of Port Laudania, but had to go to Port Everglades to clear our ships and crew. It was so awesome to see the cruise ships there. It's also fun to sail out of Miami when Chalk's Airlines is taking off right next to you ship. Last year, off of our balcony, was a beautiful rainbow. We could see both ends touching the water. I didn't see the pot of gold, but I know it was there. Leaving Trinidad, we had a school of dolphin swimming beside us as if they were leading us safely to the open sea. I love watching the sunrises/sunsets and especially love watching the brave pilots jump on board. Even though the muster drills are a pain in the petuti, they are fun to watch (as long as you have a full drink in hand). I love leaving on a sail/snorkel when you pass by the ship and realize just how huge she is. You're on a good size catamaran or sailboat and it takes so long to clear your ship, simply amazing. Our swim with the dolphins was probably the most outstanding tour we've been on, closely followed by the snorkel on Champagne Reef. All of the islands we've visited have their own special culture, feel, beauty, and topography. It's so interesting to me. Stepping on board any of the ships we've been on has been a wonderful experience and feeling. Walking around from stem to stern, finding all of the great places on board, taking in all the beauty of the interior/exterior, each unique and spectacular. These are just a few of my memories and I am truly blessed to have been able to have experienced them. Best wishes!

carlg 03-12-2007 11:11 AM

I think you just summed up why cruising is addictive Penny!!

goin' cruisin' 03-12-2007 05:20 PM

Very nicely stated, Penny3333.

One of my fondest memories of a cruise was the night my whole family--mom, dad, brother, sister in law, my wife, two boys, my wife's sister and her husband, and my mother in law took a formal picture on the Grandeur of the Seas. It was everyone's first cruise (7/2005), except for my wife and me. That same trip, my parents (78 and 84 years) saw their conservative son (at least they believed him to be), wearing a woman's bra over a somewhat barrel, definitely naked, chest, in my rubber ducky underwear, carrying a purse, with my size 11 feet jammed into my mom's size 6 shoes. We had just won RCCL's The Quest and parading around the lounge was required. They thought it was a riot. Up until my mom's passing three months later, she spoke fondly of that cruise, "a vacation of a lifetime" she stated over and over, and when she talked about The Quest, laughed until she cried.

Hubbard Glacier calving, the Mayan ruins just outside of Progresso, and the pure beauty of the water in the Caribbean. Seeing the shores of Cuba was another highlight, don't ask me why.

Sailing out of San Pedro past the Federal Correctional Institution, Terminal Island, and yelling "Hi Bobby," a friend of mine who went a little south of the law.

f-mattox 03-12-2007 05:37 PM

Excuse me, but shouldn't that have been DM, DF, DB, DSil, DW, DSx2, DSil+DBil, and DMil?
As for the bra, purse, shoes and rubber duckies--I'm not even gonna' go there.

All kidding aside, a very touching and personal memory--Thank you for sharing.

LisaP 03-12-2007 06:43 PM

Greatest memories...I don't know where to begin as there are so many.

There was the time we were on SS Norway in 2001, which was then billed as her last Caribbean season. We were the last ship to leave Miami on embarkation day, and we remained docked as all of the other cruise ships took turns gliding by us and saluting our grand ship as they departed. The exchange of whistles was wonderful, and of course our SS Norway's blast was so powerful. Even the leisure boats joined in. We have the entire exchange on video/audio tape.

There was also the time that my son, then 9 years old, asked a little girl to dance in the Queen's Room on QE2. This was after dinner, and they shared the dance floor with many others. Our son was in a tuxedo, and the little girl looked like a princess. They fit in well, and none of the dancers seemed to mind -- many looked at them and smiled.

Of course, renewing our wedding vows on Diamond Princess was a highlight. So are our many evening strolls on an outdoor promenade deck -- of any ship. Watching my mother-in-law perform in the talent show on NCL's Dreamward in 1995 was a riot. I'm glad we have that on tape, too. I'm glad we got to cruise with both of my in-laws. They are both gone now.

Wonderful thread. I look forward to hearing others' memories.

Sandy 03-13-2007 08:33 AM

One of my favorite memories is a certain moment during our first cruise, on Carnival's "Festivale" in 1980. It was formal night and I was in a long dress, my husband in a suit. After dinner and before the show, we walked out on deck. It was quiet out there, and there was a full moon reflecting off the water as we slipped through the gorgeous Caribbean. We looked over the rail, with my long dress flapping gently in the breeze. It was incredibly romantic. I remember feeling like Deborah Kerr in "An Affair To Remember." This was an image I used to have as a child, of what it would be like to be grown up and in love. And it came true!

A couple of days before that cruise, we found out that we were expecting our 3rd child. I liked to tell people he was conceived on that cruise... http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif

Sandy

carlg 03-13-2007 08:50 AM

Another one for me. Sailing out of St. Thomas on a clear moonless night, headed for Barbados with my wife and I in Tux and Gown, seeing the "southern cross" constellation for the first time rising in the south....realizing that you can't see this from nearly all of the mainland US except for possibly the Keys...warm Carribean breeze blowing, and nothing but sea and sky

tanyababanya 03-13-2007 07:08 PM

I've read all your memories and I wanted to cry because they were all so beautiful and heart-warming. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. You're all so mean, now I want to take another cruise. http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif