Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Julie K:
I wonder where the Ecstasy and Conquest will be now? Is the Houston port even a consideration I wonder? Im guessing New Orleans will be the home..what do you think?
Thanks again for the updates..you have more info than Carnival!
Of course this is all guessing at this point...but IF Houston could get its infrastructure back soon enough to support 3,000 tourists...the Houston Baytown Cruise Terminal was not badly damaged. (I don't know the condition of the Channel ..debris etc)

This terminal has never been used.

IF Baytown is not an option...Carnival is in talks with taking "a" ship to Galveston to be used as a Recovery Housing Vessel. We are all guessing that would be the Ecstasy.

IF that does happen and Baytown doesn't work out for the Conquest...then we are guessing the Conquest would go to New Orleans until Galveston is ready again.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:26 PM

If they take the Ecstasy as a "housing" ship, this will be the 2nd time this has happened to me. In 2005, the Elation was taken as housing! Carnival didn't even tell us. We found out by email when our shore excursions were cancelled.
I wonder if I should go ahead and switch over to the Fantasy out of N.O?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Quote:
IF that does happen and Baytown doesn't work out for the Conquest...then we are guessing the Conquest would go to New Orleans until Galveston is ready again.
Wasn't the Conquest and the Sensation based out of New Orleans until Hurricane Katrina? If that port has been reparied then it should be able to handle a Conquest and a Fantasy Class.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Julie, I know how you feel, we were booked on the Elation when it was taken for Katrina relief. I wouldn't go changing bookings just yet. The Houston Port would be an easy alternative for Carnival and Houston spent a ton of money on it to see it sit vacant. It won't take Houston long to get things back in operation. Certainly not as long as it would take Galveston to do so. If Houston and the state of Texas give up on Carnival without a fight, I would be surprised.

The Fantasy is sailing out of Mobile now anyway. Who knows, it may be the ship Carnival provides for relief since it is scheduled for refurb.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-15-2008, 07:21 PM

I know the Conquest used to be in New Orleans until 2005. Now they have the Fantasy and a Norwegian ship. I forget the name though.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:26 PM

That is true Jim about the Fantasy about to be refurbished. But to my knowledge, Houston cannot handle 2 ships. I wonder which ship would go to Houston, the Ecstasy or Conquest? Jim, I think I remember you in 2005 after our Elation trip was cancelled. I think we both ended up on the Conquest on the spa deck and craps table. Do I remember correctly?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Direct from "my source", letters to the current passengers aboard Ecstasy and Conquest:

Conquest
September 15, 2008

Dear Carnival Guest:

We want to thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through all of the logistics for our return to the Galveston area. We sincerely apologize again for your inconvenience. Rest assured, we will do our very best to provide you with a high level of service while you are with us aboard the Carnival Conquest.

We have now decided to sail for Houston tomorrow at 11:30 AM. All guests that plan to debark must depart the ship by 9:00 AM. If you would like to have your luggage taken off the ship, we request that you leave it outside your stateroom tonight by 11:00 PM.

The shipping channel leading into Galveston and Houston remains closed to all traffic at this time. However, we anticipate that it will re-open by Thursday. This is subject to change, but it is based on all the information we have available to us now.

In addition, it appears that it may be a longer period of time before we will be able to utilize the cruise terminal and pier in the Port of Galveston. As a result, we have made arrangements to dock at the new cruise terminal in downtown Houston (the Bayport Cruise Terminal).

We are anticipating docking in Houston on Thursday at approximately 12:00 noon. We will then proceed with debarkation for all guests.

We still do not have confirmation on the status of the cars that are parked in Galveston. Access to Galveston remains restricted and we are very doubtful that guests will be able to go to Galveston to check on their cars. Our best suggestion at this time for guests with cars in Galveston is to try to make arrangements to be picked up in Houston by family or friends. If we are able to get any better information on this situation, we will provide it as soon as it becomes available.

In the meantime, please enjoy your evening aboard the ship or the nightlife in New Orleans.

Sincerely,

Captain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ecstasy

September 15, 2008

Dear Carnival Guest:

We want to thank you for your patience and understanding as we prepare for our arrival in New Orleans tomorrow. We also want to provide you with an update of our plans to return to the Galveston area.

Most importantly, we sincerely apologize again for your inconvenience. Rest assured, we will do our very best to provide you with a high level of service while you are with us aboard the Carnival Ecstasy.

We will now dock in New Orleans at approximately 1:00 PM tomorrow. Due to U.S. Customs and Border Protection regulations, all guests must debark with their luggage upon arrival to complete the required processing. However, you are welcome to then re-board and stay with us Tuesday night and debark on Wednesday.

We have now decided to sail for Houston on Wednesday at 11:30 AM. All guests that plan to debark on Wednesday must depart the ship by 11:00 AM. All guests that plan to sail with us to Houston must be onboard by 11:00 AM.

The shipping channel leading into Galveston and Houston remains closed to all traffic at this time. However, we anticipate that it will re-open by Thursday. This is subject to change, but it is based on all the information we have available to us now.

In addition, it appears that it may be a longer period of time before we will be able to utilize the cruise terminal and pier in the Port of Galveston. As a result, we have made arrangements to dock at the new cruise terminal in downtown Houston (the Bayport Cruise Terminal).

We are anticipating docking in Houston on Friday at approximately 12:00 noon. We will then proceed with debarkation for all guests.

We still do not have confirmation on the status of the cars that are parked in Galveston. Access to Galveston remains restricted and we are very doubtful that guests will be able to go to Galveston to check on their cars. Our best suggestion at this time for guests with cars in Galveston is to try to make arrangements to be picked up in Houston by family or friends. If we are able to get any better information on this situation, we will provide it as soon as it becomes available.

In the meantime, please enjoy your evening aboard the Carnival Ecstasy.

Sincerely,

Captain

Special Note: The address for the Bayport cruise terminal in Houston is 4700 Cruise Road, Pasadena, Texas 77586
Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Thanks, Dave for posting the letters. I didn't have a chance to catch up today. I just read some of the articles from Houston and Galveston news sources. They are not offering an encouraging picture for people that parked cars at the port. The port was still unsecured and the fence was down. Besides the damage to the cars they are concerned about looting. Carnival is doing the right thing by letting people stay on the ships. As you know the hotels are full in Houston with evacuees and rental cars are scarce. I feel so bad for everyone affected by Ike. For the people that are on the ships that lived in the areas affected this has got to be a nightmare being stuck on a ship and not knowing if you have a home left.

Dwayne
Old 09-16-2008, 05:30 AM

I must say that Carnival has done an outstanding job for the people on the ships. It gives me lots of comfort knowing that they will take care of all of us in an emergency. Great job Carnival!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Banned

Thanks Dave...

What a blessing that Baytown was there!!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
baytown, cruise, cruises, days, galveston, hotels, lighthouse, parking, pasadena, port, reviews, status, terminal, thoughts, tx