Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Julie K:
That is true Jim about the Fantasy about to be refurbished. But to my knowledge, Houston cannot handle 2 ships. I wonder which ship would go to Houston, the Ecstasy or Conquest? Jim, I think I remember you in 2005 after our Elation trip was cancelled. I think we both ended up on the Conquest on the spa deck and craps table. Do I remember correctly?
Yup! That's me! Houston should be able to handle 2 ships. Just like Galveston does now. They schedule them to be in ports on different days. It should be no problem.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 AM

A friend of ours drove though Mobile last weekend and told us that Fantasy is in Mobile and surrounded by cranes for the retro fit. I would have thought the work would be done in Pascagoula but she has sailed on the Fantasy four times and I have to defer to her experience with the boat.

Looking forward to our cruise on the Fantasy 10/9/08.

Al
Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Alblancher:
A friend of ours drove though Mobile last weekend and told us that Fantasy is in Mobile and surrounded by cranes for the retro fit. I would have thought the work would be done in Pascagoula but she has sailed on the Fantasy four times and I have to defer to her experience with the boat.

Looking forward to our cruise on the Fantasy 10/9/08.

Al
HEY...we are cruising with YOU!!! woo hoo

I will be easy to spot....I will be the one hogging KARAOKE!!!

We are going to have a BLAST!!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:35 PM

I hope the hurricanes are through for this year. We've had enough damage. I'm so very glad to see that Carnival, once again, has stepped up to the plate. I do hope we will be able to hear from some of those that were on board. I pray all are safe and no one suffered loss of their home. Doesn't sound good for the vehicles, but, hopefully, the insurance companies will not try to screw people out of recovery. It would be a breath of fresh air if they would do as much as Carnival for those that pay premiums.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

Now if I could only call the new Houston Cruise Terminal by the proper name...I would be batting 100%.

It is BayPORT...not BayTOWN. (I keep thinking of Miami..)
Old 09-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Administrator

My agent is feeling better. She has a group on the Ecstasy for this weekend's cruise and was worried that it might not happen.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
My agent is feeling better. She has a group on the Ecstasy for this weekend's cruise and was worried that it might not happen.
Depending on how much of Houston has had electricity restored by Friday...I am sure it may not go absolutely smoothly...but if they can just get on the ship...the rest of the cruise should be a dream.

Can you imagine how relieved the staff and crew will be to get back to a normal routine!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Administrator

I get this image of just enough power to run a few check-in lines, one security station, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see portable generators running as I walked into the terminal.

You also have to think that many port workers were affected by the storm and are thinking "I have better things to do" and will be distracted. I'm not criticizing them if this is true. I'd feel the same way.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:42 AM

Well, local reports from Houston (friends) say that power has been restored in spots. But the water is back on for Houston (not so much for Galveston)

They are working diligently to restore power, so by Friday, they may have power at the port since they are near the refineries which were a priority for power restoration efforts.

My friends are fortunate enough to live next to a person in the construction business. Before the storm had brought in a power generator (one of those big trailered generators. He has most of the block being powered off of it (for refrigeration and basic lighting.

They are going back to work however, so i agree with Dave that they may be distracted, but for many it might be more of a relief to get back to some normalcy provided they are just sitting around waiting for power to be restored and not dealing with a destroyed house.

The bigger issue is the lack of hotel space. They are putting up those without shelter in hotels. So if you are cruising, don't expect to find a hotel to stay in the night before.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-17-2008, 10:50 AM

Glad to hear Houston is getting up and running. Have a friend down there with 3 children. She was without power, but only minor damage to the house, which is excellent news. Only thing that's bothering her is that she can't charge her cell phone

Closed Thread

Tags
baytown, cruise, cruises, days, galveston, hotels, lighthouse, parking, pasadena, port, reviews, status, terminal, thoughts, tx