Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

I thought I'd start a thread to keep an update going on the status of cruises from Galveston.

The Galveston cruise terminal was heavily damaged by Hurricane Ike. News reports say the walls were torn away from the building.

Other reports state the city of Galveston is talking to Carnival about having a ship come to Galveston to serve as a shelter, as was done with New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. First thoughts would be this being the Ecstasy or the Conquest. But perhaps the Holiday might play into the picture? That is just speculation on my part.

This thread isn't to diminish this disaster or the pain and suffering people are enduring. However, I think people will be interested in the status of cruises from Galveston.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:11 PM

Dave, thanks for the information. My heart breaks for the people in Galveston. I have a friend who has a home 2 blocks from the ocean in galveston, someone contacted her today that the house is gone. lucky for her it was her vacation home.
we had a cruise booked on the Holiday when they put it into service for Katrina victims. it was easy for us to go on another ship.
Hats off to carnival stepping up to the plate to help our people out ( and yes I know they get paid for it) but it is the right thing to do.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator

More...

The cruise terminal has 2 to 3 feet of water in it. The latest reports indicate that most if not all vehicles parked at the port are a total loss.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

It is such an odd feeling, since we were just there August 30th. We went down a couple of days ahead because we had never been to Galveston.

Then our cruise was delayed for 2 days...so we got to really enjoy The Strand District. We stayed at the Harbor House and had a wonderful time.

Since the Lighthouse Parking lot is more elevated and farther from the port than EZ Cruises Lots A and B...I have small amount of optimism that some of the cars "may" be ok.

And there is a parking garage that some folks may have taken advantage of next to Fuddpuckers across from the port.

Galveston is a neat little place because it is not the standard commercial resort town. More laid back...lots of history.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It is such an odd feeling,
Same thing with me and New Orleans, although I was there a few months prior to Katrina and not days. It was vibrant, fun, etc. I have photos of our pre-cruise stay, and then to see that devastation just a short time later really makes a person pause and reflect.

I used to think I would move to the coast when I retired. I really don't want to do that anymore. The Gulf coast is a roulette wheel as far as hurricane damage. Your number is going to come up eventually and I don't want to go through it all.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Hi Dave,Where did you hear the info on the cruise terminal? I called Carnival today and no one there seemed to know anything. I have a cruise booked on the Ecstasy in October and I hope if they cancel it or reposition our ship, that they will give us some notice. I imagine with everyones cruises getting cancelled, the other dates will fill up quickly.
Thanks for keeping us informed.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Administrator

I'm consolidating various news reports I've read, with the Houston Chronicle being my most reliable source.

They are now saying it will be "quite some time" before the Port Of Galveston can resume operations.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned

Yes, I doubt any ships will be going out of Galveston for months.

The causeway that goes to Galveston Island had a (or some) buckling going on. The infrastructure is wacked. (water, electricity, roadways)

One terminal lost a back wall...but I think the other terminal faired pretty well.

But even if the terminals were perfect...it is going to take some time to clean up that mess.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:44 PM

I wonder where the Ecstasy and Conquest will be now? Is the Houston port even a consideration I wonder? Im guessing New Orleans will be the home..what do you think?
Thanks again for the updates..you have more info than Carnival!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Is the Houston port even a consideration I wonder?
Actually it is. Carnival is looking at that option.

Closed Thread

Tags
baytown, cruise, cruises, days, galveston, hotels, lighthouse, parking, pasadena, port, reviews, status, terminal, thoughts, tx