Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 04:20 PM

thank you Susanmaz. I contacted my mail-in servoce and they confirmed thaht they could not provide smaller bottles. Now you tell me I can only have two carryons!! I didn't seee this on Norwegian's web-site - only that we were restricted to twohunred pounds each.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:26 PM

Two hundred pounds each?? You will be limited a lot more if you are flying - basically 50 lbs per check-through bag, with a maximum of 2 per person, plus one carryon and one "small personal item" such as a purse, laptop computer or camera. And of course you can combine things - purse inside of carryon for example.

I'd try to limit things even more if you can - there is only so much storage space, even if there are just two of you in the cabin.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:22 AM

thank you Karen - fortunately, the Dream sails from Houston and that's where we live, so no flying!! Therefore, does the cruise line also limit you to two carryons? Again this is a big question for me since one carryon looks like it is going to have to be these large prescription bottles.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:37 AM

I forgot to ask you, Karen or Susanmaz or anyone, does the cruise line check your luggage and/or carryons when you board, or is it customs upon return tho the U.S. that you may have to show the original prescription bottles to. Is there any chance that the cruise line will attempt to take your medications from you at the beginning of your trip if that are not in these bottles?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Carol Ann - lucky for you no flying. Living in the desert Southwest, I have to fly just about everywhere..... There shouldn't be a cruiseline restriction on the amount of luggage you bring, just remember that storage space is limited. I don't have an answer to your questions as to if the cruiseline will inspect your luggage. When we are planning to travel, we will re-order our prescriptions as soon as we are able to prior to our leaving. We will take enough medication to cover our trip plus an extra 3 days to allow for something to happen. The original bottles are needed so that if they are looked at by Customs, what is in the bottle will match the description on the label. I don't know what the rules are if you want to take one of those "pill a day" reminder things. I do think that the authorities need to confirm what is being brought into the country.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:32 PM

We've been on three cruises in the past eleven months and I take those daily pill boxes, filled with my meds. I take my bedtime pills (one at night) in a little pill container. I take just enough for the cruise and an "emergency" night and no more. The first time I took all those big bottles and no one looked at ANYthing so I figured why bother? It's all extra weight. I also take a written list of what I take.
As for carryons..........I always see people with several carry-ons. The plane is where the limits come in........not the ship. I put my purse inside one carry-on so that helps.
Yesterday, while my husband got our truck from the parking structure (we drove to Seattle) I stood by our luggage and people watched. It was amazing to me how some "minimalists" will have just one wheelie and a small handbag and others will have two huge wheelies per person plus many other small bags. Of course, if you don't plan to dress for formal nights, luggage will weigh less.......men's suits and dress shoes do weigh a bit!
Have a grand time.........really, NO one has ever even asked about meds in any port or Customs area.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:33 PM

I know Texas law requires your pills to be in their original bottle, or at least it used to, but I fudge a little and use the weekly boxes. I do take the original bottles somewhere in my luggage though. In your case, I'd pack the big bottles away and bring the amount you need for the cruise in your carryon.

I think the people who would check the bags would be the customs people. I don't think the cruise people are too concerned about that kind of thing. And lately, I haven't seen customs too concerned either, but you never know.

Since you don't have to fly, lucky you, you can just fill up your room with luggage! Seriously, I think we end up with three big suitcases and three carryon bags and we've never had a problem with stowing them under the bed. You could wear your supper clothes to board and pack your swim or casual clothes in one carryon.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:43 PM

I have to admit I am a bit confused over all of this speculation. My wife and I just took our first cruise in August and in all of the material I read, and all of my preparation, never did it come up about having your Rx in the bottles.

Like you I have the 90 day mail order bottles. I just went out and bought one the small "pill-a-day" holders and loaded up each day with the pills I needed. Between vitamins, alergies, and a few other Rx's, I had 7 pills per day. My wife had a container of her owns which had 2 or 3 per day. We placed them in our carry-on - which was only x-rayed at the terminal check-in at Philadelphia. It was probably sitting near the top of my bag - so it would have stood out pretty easily. If it was an issue - nobody said anything.

Maybe I was just lucky - but had no issues. The bad was not rechecked when we dismembarked in Philly. Perhaps if we had been checking out in Canada - maybe it would have been an issue - I really don't know.

I would suggest checking the State Department's website. If there are any regulations, it would be mentioned there.

http://www.state.gov/

Enchantment - August 2005
Old 09-17-2005, 05:58 PM

I'm no expert but our carryones went through an xray when we arrived at the terminal..no one questioned anything. I had various meds in ziplock bags...OTC,and Prescription. That was the one and only time ANYONE looked at ANYTHING we carried around. We weren't checked in or out of Nassau nor were we checked upon disembarking...I realized 2 months later that I never even gave them my customs declaration..whoops! I found it in the front pocket of my carryon..no one ever asked for it.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09

Closed Thread