Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2005, 07:31 AM

I have a question about changing time zones and itinerary debarcation and embarcation times. For instance, we leave Galveston at 5 p.m. Central Standard Time (Texas time)Sunday evening. We are set to arrive at (I believe) 3 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon in Key West and leave at midnight. Is that 3 p.m. to Midnight on Central Standard Time, or do we change to Eastern Standard Time (Florida time)? In other words, does the ship stay on the time zone of the port of origin or does it shift at the various ports of call, at least as far as arrival and departure times? I know this seems like a dumb question and they'll surely make it clear on the ship. I'm just incurably curious. I can't help it.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:20 AM

theotherchad,

cruise ships do swich to the time zones of the ports of call. All times listed are local times in the respective time zones.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-10-2005, 09:04 AM

Raoul,
With all due respect, I must disagree with your statement. Although it is often the case (particularly in Europe) that the ship changes its time to coincide with the port, that is not always the case.

On a recent cruise (it was actually a Caribbean cruise that visited Grand Cayman) I learned that changing the ship's time is totally at the discretion of the captain. While in GC, there were 5 ships in port - 3 had changed their times to reflect island time, 2 had not. There is not even a standard rule by cruise line. A tour operator on the island informed me of this rule. Later, while onboard I had a chance to speak with the ship's captain and he verified this fact.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-10-2005, 10:09 AM

Nancy,

apologies, I didn't know that. I've taken dozens of cruises, and on every single cruise I have been on the onboard time was adjusted to fit the respective time zones of the ports of call visited.

It appears that not switching time zones might be a Caribbean phenomenon - and there it shows that I don't take that many Caribbean cruises.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-10-2005, 10:27 AM

Thanks Nancy and Raoul. I guess I'll have to check when I get onboard. Either way, it's important information to have, especially if you don't relish the idea of getting your late butt left behind!

Old 08-10-2005, 05:17 PM
I have only been on two cruises and we have always stayed on Miami time. I would think it would be less confusing for the passengers if they didn't have to reset their watch a few times.

When I was in Mexico I was asking someone on shore about my tour that was to leave at 10:00 AM and they told me not to worry that was in a hour. Being on vacation and not wanting to think about much I had forgotten that I was on ship time (!0:00) and he was on Mexican time (9:00).
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 08-15-2005, 01:32 PM

Larry,
As it happened, during my last 2 cruises in the Caribbean we changed our clocks to reflect local time on both sailings. Didn't know it was the Captain that made that decision, but an interesting fact.
Suzi
Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 AM

We have always changed time during the cruises (7 day ones) and I frankly prefer it that way. Mexican Riveria and Carribean. It made it much easier to adjust to local's shore excursions times etc.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:12 PM

Are there typically big clocks somewhere on the ship? One of my big fears is missing the ship.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:24 PM

Lady Vidora,

on many ships there are big clocks on some of the open decks. And when going ashore, you can of course always check with the security staff at the gangway to see what the ship's time is.

Raoul Fiebig

Closed Thread

Tags
arrival, call, caribbean, carnival, cruise, destiny, local, port, reflect, royal, ship, time, times, zone, zones