Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2005, 12:29 PM

Hi All,
Our Dec southern Caribbean cruise was going to visit La Guaira, Venezuela but now we are stopping at Margarita Island, Ven. Anybody have any information on this port? Thanks for your help. Waiting for Dec 3rd!!!!!!
Casey

Caseyg
Old 05-12-2005, 07:29 PM

I was just on the Golden where they also replace Margarita Island as well. The bad thing was we only had from 7am-11:30am there. We had wanted to do an island tour but were worried we did not have enough time. Right off the ship they have loads of vendors to do some shopping. There is a beach with in walking distance too.
They do offer afew ship tours that leave right at 7am. To be honest we all were pleased with our decision to do the bearch nearby & stroll by the vendors.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Banned

I would re-search this very carefully. A few years ago most cruise ships stopped going there because of the crime rate. It is the only island that my husband and I have ever felt nervous. The police there carried machine guns when we were there as their issue gun. You also could not go out on the streets without a copy of your passport. We know a friend who was out without one and he was taken in through a "street sweep" and put in a holding cell for a short period. Now things may have changed, I hear of people that quite enjoy this place now, but after an experience that this we would never try it again. It is also the olny vacation in 15 years that we got truly sick, and we were sick for weeks upon returning. The topic of the day at the place we stayed was, "how many imodium have you taken today"? One couple took 70 in a week!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:47 AM
Banned

P.S. At any rate,,,leave ALL your jewellry on the ship.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:01 AM

My brother used to live in Venezuela (Caracas) for several years, and they enjoyed spending some of their vacations on Isla Margarita. Like all tourist areas and 3rd-world countries, a little street smarts are a good idea (such as leaving your jewelry onboard ship, drinking only bottled water and avoiding drinks with ice in them, being aware of your surroundings, etc.) However, I don't think you need to be unduly frightened of this port call.

On any cruise, I usually use a hip pack with secure belt (the kind with a metal cable in it, so it's hard for a pickpocket to quickly slice & grab it) and I carry only what ID is required, plus maybe $20-30 if I plan on shopping. (You can tell I don't buy big-ticket items! ) Carrying a copy of the first page of your passport is always a good idea in a foreign country.

I do recommend taking a ship's shore excursion if your cruise calls at La Guaira (Caracas), and if you are at all nervous about Isla Margarita, then stay with a ship's shore excursion there as well. Wherever you end up going, enjoy!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Many years ago I travelled with my sister to Margarita Island, this is when they were really just starting to get US tourists.I think this was 1988. It was quiet at that time & they were just building some hotel/resorts.
On this recent visit in March I did not feel unsafe at all. I do always wear my jewelry & was fine. Of course we did not go on the tours.
I have been to LaGuaira several times & there I did feel nervous!! ??
Old 05-15-2005, 01:26 PM

Thanks to all for your comments.

CaseyG

Caseyg

Closed Thread

Tags
board, carnival, chat, cruise, cruises, island, magarita, margarita, port, reviews, ships, venezuela, visit