Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 09:12 PM

We are leaving Saturday for an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Glory. We are stopping in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I was reading on an AOL travel board and there were a lot of negative comments about Nassau. People were saying it was dirty and dangerous. Do any of you seasoned cruises have any dos and don'ts? Good shore excursions? Don't bother shore excursions? Any tips will be much appreciated! We're really looking forward to our first cruise!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:54 AM

Hi GAMOM, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Check out the Caribbean Port Chat section of the Forum, and do a search. Plenty of good Info and opinions there.

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I've been looking at some other places and they said to make copies of all cruise documents and passports and put one in carry on, one in suitcase and leave one at home.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GAMOM:
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I've been looking at some other places and they said to make copies of all cruise documents and passports and put one in carry on, one in suitcase and leave one at home.
That's not a bad idea. But for the one you plan on leaving at home, change that to "leave with someone you can contact from your trip" Unless someone is goign to be able to retrieve it if you need it from your house, there is not much point in having a copy at home.

As for your passports, you won't need them after getting onto the ship until you get back off after your cruise. Your ship ID card will get you on and off the ship in the ports. So there isn't a huge concern over having copies of your passports, but it won't hurt.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 PM

Thanks, good idea about the copies. I'll leave one with my sister.

I appreciate the advice!
Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 PM
I have a Yahoo email account I sent copies to myself then saved the documents there so if I need to I can print off the copies from anywhere there is internet/printer.
I made copies of credit cards, health cards, passports etc...
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 06-02-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks! That's a great idea.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:47 AM

With all of the hackers, and the identity theft going on, I would be cautious of that. A better option might be to put the info on a thumb drive as a back up. JMHO.

Dwayne
Old 06-05-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GAMOM:
We are leaving Saturday for an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Glory. We are stopping in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I was reading on an AOL travel board and there were a lot of negative comments about Nassau. People were saying it was dirty and dangerous. Do any of you seasoned cruises have any dos and don'ts? Good shore excursions? Don't bother shore excursions? Any tips will be much appreciated! We're really looking forward to our first cruise!
I didn't get the impression that Nassau was "dirty and dangerous" when I was there in Dec. of 06.

We did not book a shore excursion through the ship; in fact, we didn't have the foggiest idea what we were going to do in Nassau. As soon as we got off the ship we were approached by an independent tour operator who offered a 3-hour island tour in an air conditioned van for $15/person - our group of 7 jumped on that deal! It was a great tour!! We got to see the tourist areas, the fancy mansions, the slums, even the hospital Anna Nicole gave birth in (it was topical at the time). There were also a couple stops along the way at flea markets and historical sites as well as the Atlantis. At no point did I feel like I was in danger.

Have a great time!!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

In Nassau, we picked up a cab and went to the Sheraton on cable beach and used their facilities (beach, pool, etc...) for a fun day in the sun. Was very cheap and the hotel was very accomodating as long as we spent money at the swim up bar which we had no problem doing. Was about a 4 mile cab ride to the hotel.

Sodey

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, cruises, cruising, don, donts, dos, ts