Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 03:50 AM

Last night on the O'Reilly show there was a tape done by an investigative reporter showing excessive drunkeness all through the day by underage youths.

Has anyone experienced this on any cruises?
Old 04-27-2006, 03:50 AM

Last night on the O'Reilly show there was a tape done by an investigative reporter showing excessive drunkeness all through the day by underage youths.

Has anyone experienced this on any cruises?
Old 04-27-2006, 04:36 AM

I have not seen this on any of the cruises I've been on. We usually use RCCL. The media loves to play up these stories. The only cruise I have seen with drunk teens was in Honolulu back in the 80's. It was sold as a booze cruise, and i was one of those drunk college kids. It was a four hour drunk fest.

Read and post cruise reviews

Enchantment 2007
Serenade 2006
Majesty 2006
Sovereign 2004
Sovereign 2003
Sovereign 2002
Old 04-27-2006, 10:44 AM

I've never noticed any underaged drinking problems. Most of my cruises have been on Royal Caribbean ships. I've seen some drunk adults but not very often.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:31 AM

from my experience, RCC does not seem to have a good handle on their "underage" alcohol policy. We cruised onboard Radiance of the Seas for spring break with six "18" year old boys, for which all of us parents followed their policy to have their sail & sign card punched to show that we did NOT want them served alcohol on the ship during our cruise. That is their policy....if the card has a punch in it, it indicates they are not allowed to be served. OK, so we followed this policy, all of us parents. We were on the ship for a total of 2 hours before these boys were served alcohol, and they continued to serve them throughout the week. I went down to the pursers desk numerous times concerning this issue, and they assured me that they would not be served due to their "punch" indicating underage. I noticed that they do not even look at the card prior to taking the drink orders.....very, very lax in their policy.
However, I am not saying that these six boys were innocent by any means. They found a loop hole in that first 2 hours onboard the ship to see how to work the system, and they took advantage of it.
My dissapointment was when I was told by the pursers desk numerous times that RCC abides by their policy, and will not serve alcohol to these boys since we followed their policy of the "punch" on their cards. These boys were served alcohol everywhere on the ship....not just one location.
Apparently once you are out into International waters, the legal drinking age is 18. And, we as parents did know that rule, but thought we had it under control by getting their cards punched to show that they were not to be served.

Carnival's policy for serving alcohol is 21, it clearly says that under their liquor and beverage policy. For this reason, we will not cruise RCC again with our kids!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:34 PM

I saw the same video. The "investigative Reporter" was absolutely giddy at the prospect thnat he was going to disclose some deep dark secret about cruising.

Maybe it is me, but it just seems like the media has an issue with cruising. I have been on well over 300 cruises and never seen teen age drunks.

When my son was under age we cruised all the time and to my knowledge, he never was served when he had been blocked by a hole punmched in his card or otherwise. But then, we expected him to behave himself and would have taken complete responsibility and corrective action if he had not.

If our son had abused his sail and sign card once, he would no longer have it from that point forward.

I can't wait to see the report.

Tom
Old 04-28-2006, 06:29 AM

If the policy for legal drinking age is 18 then it seems to me it wouldn't fall under the "underaged" status if you ARE 18. I've never been on a springbreak cruise, but, I can imagine this would be a cruise where I would see a big problem. I wonder if Carnival is any different on a springbreak cruise.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator

My experience with Carnival over the past few years is that they are quite strict about it.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:29 AM

Hi, Ater 5 cruises still have not noticed problem with underage drinking,although never have cruised during March break.A server on one cruise did tell us the problem they have is with older of age teens getting drinks for younger ones.Waiter prefered to work ship with older crowds as they the servers were held responsible if guests got out of hand because of drinking,said older crowds drank responsibly,where as a lot of younger ones became very violent when refused.Of late there seems to be a lot of negative media coverage about cruise lines Makes you wonder what the real motive is?thanks for letting me spout of.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:05 AM

Carnival has gotten MUCH stricter than they were in the 80's. Then again, back then you only had to be 18 to drink anything and they didn't ever check ID's. Now the cruise lines seem to really try to pay attention to everyone's age and do their best not to have drunken teenagers.

I have never seen it be a problem on Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Princess or Celebrity. I have however seen several adults who need to learn when to say no.

Caribbean Travel Articles

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, caribbean, check, cruise, cruises, drinking, drunk, id, international, issues, kids, line, royal, serve, teens, underage, waters