Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Help Us Pick a Cruise!! (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/35891-help-us-pick-cruise.html)

LindaD 11-16-2007 02:50 PM

Hi everyone - I have cruised Carnival Celebration (on honeymoon 1987 - eastern caribbean) and Grand Princess with husband and daughters (3 or 4 yrs ago - western carib). Now going with best friend who has never taken a cruise before. I am going to Florida to visit friends week before cruise and best friend is flying in for cruise and we're driving back to NY together after cruise. Because of limited funds we're looking for 5 night cruise. The kicker is if my friend flies from NY to Fl after 2/11 airfare is $399 one way!! Before that it's $99 (can you believe that?) It must be spring break time! Anyway, question is: isn't 4 nt cruises to Bahamas just too short? Found 5 nt cruise & 6 nt caribbean which went way up in cost. Of the cruisers who have done the 4 nt cruises, did you find them adequate time wise, or are you just getting to wind down and it's all over. Any suggestions on great 5 or 4 nt cruises you took - by the way, we are two females in our 50's - thanks for all your help and info. Linda

LindaD 11-16-2007 02:50 PM

Hi everyone - I have cruised Carnival Celebration (on honeymoon 1987 - eastern caribbean) and Grand Princess with husband and daughters (3 or 4 yrs ago - western carib). Now going with best friend who has never taken a cruise before. I am going to Florida to visit friends week before cruise and best friend is flying in for cruise and we're driving back to NY together after cruise. Because of limited funds we're looking for 5 night cruise. The kicker is if my friend flies from NY to Fl after 2/11 airfare is $399 one way!! Before that it's $99 (can you believe that?) It must be spring break time! Anyway, question is: isn't 4 nt cruises to Bahamas just too short? Found 5 nt cruise & 6 nt caribbean which went way up in cost. Of the cruisers who have done the 4 nt cruises, did you find them adequate time wise, or are you just getting to wind down and it's all over. Any suggestions on great 5 or 4 nt cruises you took - by the way, we are two females in our 50's - thanks for all your help and info. Linda

Marylovestocruise 11-16-2007 05:55 PM

Hi Linda,

My friend and I went on a 5 day cruise on the Celebration our of Jacksonville in June of this year. We are both 50(ish) and had a wonderful time. I thought previously that anything less than a 7 day was missing something, but it really was fine.

We visited two ports (Nassau and Key West) and had two days at sea, one coming and one going. The difference in a 7 day is one more sea day and one more day in port.

Again, the 4 day will visit one port with one day at sea coming and one going. If it's better on the budget, go for it.

However, that being said, I think I would only go for less than 5 days if it was my only choice. If you have some flexibility in time and price, go for the longer cruise!

Enjoy and hope you have the ball we did!

Mary

LisaP 11-17-2007 06:12 AM

Hi LindaD, and welcome to cruise-chat.

I don't think a 4-night cruise is too short, particularly as it will be part of a longer vacation for both of you. As budget is also a major consideration, keep in mind the charges above the cruise fare, such as (but not limited to) tips, drinks, souvenirs, fuel surcharges, travel insurance, and parking at the port.

On another note, I would encourage your friend to fly to Florida a day or two before the cruise, if she has not considered this already. This serves two purposes: first, giving a buffer in case of bad weather, and second, allowing you to board the ship as early as possible to maximize the time spent onboard. Of course, this needs to be factored into the budget, as well, but is worth every penny.

Sonny V 11-17-2007 07:03 AM

Hello LindaD, welcome to Cruise-Chat. A three night cruise is definately too short. A five night cruise satisfies me. So, where does that leave a four night crusie? Depends on what ship, and the cost. If you sail on the Navigator or the Enchantment you can't go wrong. What date are you planning to cruise?

Sonny

DeDe 11-17-2007 11:26 AM

we have done a 3 night and a 4 night....definitely liked the 4 night...stopped at 2 ports...key west and cozumel and had a day at sea..we were on enchantment of the seas last spring break and had so much fun! The 4 night gave us plenty of time on the boat for the $!

drlivingston 11-23-2007 12:37 PM

I am going to take a different angle at this dilemma. $399 is way too much to pay for one way airfare. Have your friend check into discount airlines. If necessary, fly to a nearby airport and rent a car to the port. It will still be cheaper in the long run. Don't be afraid to cancel an airline booking for a cheaper flight.