Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Default US to Australia - Rough waters?
My wife and I are thinking about a month long cruise from the US to Australia as our present for retirement. We have only done Caribbean & Med. Ship sizes have been 90k ton and 120k ton.

The ships I've seen for this are smaller. I wonder if taking a smaller ship in the pacific with more sea days is an issue. We have not had problems in the past, but would we worry about sea sickness?

What is the best cruise line for this type of cruise? We normally take Royal but they don't seem to offer this.

THanks,

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 PM

There are several cruise lines that do world cruises, Princess and Cunard are two that come to mind. You could probably get a partial segment. Princess does sometimes reposition ships and does Tahiti to Australia, which you might be able to add Hawaii to Tahiti to. I'm sure a travel agent would be a very valuable asset for this type of cruise.

You can never predict what seas will be like, could be smooth as silk or rougher than sandpaper. You will feel more motion in smaller ships, there's no doubt about that.

It sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate retirement to me. Heck, go for the world cruise, it's only a couple more months

Your Allure cruise is coming up shortly, here's wishing for sunshine, calm seas, great food, and an amazing cruise!!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:21 PM
jloving....Are You departing from an East Coast or a West coast Port? From an East Coast Port it is likely You will cruise around Cape Horn requiring the use of the Drake Passage which is usually rough or a Magellan Passgage which can be difficult!! I have not seen too many TransPacific Cruises using the Panama Canal but they do take place!
Holland America does offer some very nice TransPacific Cruises using West Coast Ports...You might also give them some worthy consideration!!
If it gets rough there are SeaBands, Ear Patches, Green Apples and Ginger Pills....On a TransPacific multi day cruise You will certainly gain Your Sea Legs!!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 AM

You and Rccl must be thinking alike as it appears they are moving the Radiance (which will be in drydock soon for upgrades) to do that intinerie twice a year. The new deployment schedule for Austraila is due out April 4. We have sailed Hawaii to San Diego before in April and the weather was fantastic.

Tags
april, austrailian, australia, cruise, cruising, long, month, november, review, reviews, rough, seas, transpacific, waters, zealand