Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 04:33 PM

I just did some research on cozumelinsider.com and found out that Carnaval 2010 is starting the day we're there. Has anyone been to Carnaval in Cozumel? How will that affect things? Is Carnaval something we won't want to miss? We're only there for one day, Feb. 10th, from 8am to 5pm, so it's possible we'll miss the main evening entertainment anyway.

Thanks for all your help!

~Aaron's kitten
Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

When it comes to sampling the local food in Caribbean ports, keep in mind you won't really find it at the touristy beaches and the main street. This is particularly true on Cozumel where if you want to see authentic local cuisine you need to look around and get off the waterfront. It is also much cheaper.

However if you want what most Americans consider to be Mexican food, I suggest you try Pancho's Backyard when in Cozumel. This is the familiar things you'll find at your local Mexican joint. I happen to like their fish tacos. They have very good food and it is reasonably priced and clean. Their main restaurant is located downtown in the back of the Los Cinco Soles storefront.

Please don't waste your money on lunch at Senor Frog's or Carlos'n Charlies. Their food is not very good and they are more about loud (too loud) music and guzzling booze. These two bars are really the same thing (on top of each other and owned by the same people). You'll know what I mean when you see them.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Aaronskitten,
Some streets may be blocked off for the celebration. The Main street along the waterfront in Cozumel could have some backups. Just allow extra time to get to places. Especially for getting back to the ship on time.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator

The good thing is you might see street vendors set up selling "real" local food. As most world travelers know, street food is usually where you find the best food.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:03 PM

I can highly recommend Paradise Beach for an inexpensive and nice beach on Cozumel. They ask that you spend $10 per person for food and or drinks is all. They are not real strict about it and use the honor system so to speak. Their nachos are great! I don't know the current taxi fare from where the Navigator docks though.

Here is a link.

Congrats,

Dwayne
Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 AM

I also recommend Paradise Beach, the nicest people, look here.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 12-30-2009, 04:04 PM

Aaron's kitten

One other important thing, since you're first timers. You must be back on the ship half an hour prior to sailing. An example, the ship leaves Cozumel at 5:00 pm, ship time. This means you must be back onboard at 4:30 pm, ship time.

Make sure you check your daily "cruise compass" which will be delivered to your stateroom the night before for the following day to see if you need to change your clocks. This is up to the captain, as Cozumel is on Central time, but if you depart from Florida, that is Eastern time. Again, it is up to the captain whether or not to change the time to match the local time. The ship WILL NOT wait for you if you are not back on time.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Part of the Cozumel Stop Fun

Get back on board a little early, no stress, remember it takes 20 minutes more than it should to get a final check from your waiter in Mexico.

Then grab a cocktail and watch those running to make the ship, and those who the Tequila Shooters have caught up with trying to walkt back on.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Congrats on your wedding!

Our first cruise was on the Navigator and we LOVED it!!! I would like to also suggest considering a balcony! It was amazing. We saw the sun come up over Cozumel as the ship sailed into port - one of my favorite pictures. We went on the dolphin excursion which was around $300 - but I would also agree with the other posts that Paradise Beach is great. It was not overcrowded and very clean. I had a margarita and guacamole with chips - the kids had fish fingers and a chicken burrito (the food was outstanding!)- their menu is online. They also have a small shop there. As I recall, the cab was only about $10 or less. We are planning to return to Paradise Beach on our June 2010 cruise. This is a MUCH cheaper option than paying for the ship's excursions.

Just be sure to take the 30 spf sunscreen! The stuff that usually works in Missouri (where we live) does not get the job done in the Caribbean sun!
2010 Carnival Conquest (June)
Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Well, we're back from our first cruise on the Navigator! I was very impressed with almost everything about the ship and the cruise schedule.

We had several issues surrounding the wedding that made it a less-than-perfect experience - air travel being cancelled due to snow, alternate plans having to be made last minute (both for the wedding and travel to Miami), my new husband having unexplained tooth pain throughout - but even so, we ended up having a wonderful time on the cruise.

I was most impressed with how clean the ship was, and how courteous and helpful all of the staff were. Our wait staff at dinner were especially attentive. And the food!! My goodness! That was probably the hardest part to "give up" by coming home. The dinners and desserts we enjoyed in the dining room every evening were spectacular.

Our ports of call were also great, though we would have preferred more time at each. We spent a few hours shopping and having lunch in Cozumel. In Belize, we took a speedboat out to do some snorkeling, which was great! On future trips to these two places, I think we'll plan excursions, as the immediate vicinity is very built up for tourists and we were a little wary of going any further out into either city. But everyone who did an excursion said they had a great time.

All in all, despite a few issues not related to the cruise itself, we have a fabulous time. I'm definitely hooked!! Good thing we got ourselves the Royal Caribbean credit cards before we went!!!!!

My only problem now is dealing with a minor case of Mal de Debarquement Syndrome. Hopefully it will go away soon, although it's kind of neat feeling like I'm still onboard!

~Aaron's kitten

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, compass, cruise, cruises, forum, freedom, honeymoon, june, monarch, navigator, pain, rccl, review, reviews, seas, special, tooth