Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Hi everyone!

Ever since my fiancé and I decided on a cruise for our honeymoon, I´ve been poring over websites looking for advice and details. We´ve narrowed it down to two cruises - Royal Caribbean´s Navigator of the Seas or Carnival´s Fantasy. Both are leaving on the same day, both are the same price and both are stopping at Cozumel. If anyone has any suggestions on which one would be better for us, I´d appreciate it!(I know, I know. We´ll be on our honeymoon, so it shouldn´t matter!) My fiancé is very sports and game oriented, so the golf simulator and basketball court aboard the Navigator sounded pretty good.

Also, as we´re first-timers, I´d like some advice on the excursions at Cozumel. Should we spend the money to plan some things ahead of time, or just wing it and wander?

Thanks much for all your help!

Aaron´s kitten
Old 12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Congratulations on your wedding and your choice of a cruise for your honeymoon. I have not been on either ship; but Navigator just looks way more impressive, especially at the same price. But I know Fantasy has a lot of fans here; and I personally prefer ships more Fantasy's size. But Navigator definitely has the WOW! factor.

As for Cozumel, that is a place I think it is more fun to just "wing it and wander", as you say.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:28 AM

It sounds like you and your fiance would enjoy the Navigator more for all the activities. Both are great ships. I've been on the Fantasy four times, and I enjoyed the Navigator for a Superbowl cruise in 2008.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the input! The Navigator does look pretty spectacular. I think that´s the one we´ll choose.

Two more questions from a newbie:

1. Should we go through a cruise agent, or just book it ourselves online?

2. Should we wait until the absolute last minute to get the best deal? (We´re aiming for a Feb. 8th departure date, so is that already within the ¨last minute¨ deal window?)

Thanks again for your advice!

Aaron´s kitten
Old 12-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Hi Aaron's Kitten, congrats on your upcoming wedding and cruise selection. You will love cruising and be hooked after this one. If you have a travel agent that you like and one that knows about cruising, I'd use them and book now as the timing is short. Upon booking, I usually keep an eye on the RCI site in case my agent misses a price drop and I make sure the agent gets me in on it. I would suggest a balcony if you can swing the price break as it will give you that extra wow factor of being able to enjoy the outside right from you cabin with breakfast there if you wish and an evening night cap watching the moon in the carribean.
Best of luck and enjoy !

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Definitely book now. This is your Honeymoon. You don't want to miss out of that! Feb 8th is right by Superbowl, and you are also entering the time when cruising picks up and gets busier. Everyone from the North wants to get out of the snow to warmer weather.
A Travel Agent will help make your cruise vacation smoother. They will be your advocate in case of any problems and they will be there to assist you with all your first time questions.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:51 PM

Aaron's Kitten

One thing I want to add, is that for excursions, I would recommend booking through the cruise line in advance, since this is your first cruise, and you are probably not familiar with the ports of call.

Also, as this is your first cruise, I would recommend booking through an agent instead of by yourselves through the cruise line's website. I would book ASAP and just keep checking the website in case the price drops. Should the price drop, contact your agent, so you can work out how to get the difference back.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 PM

Congratulations on your choice, lots of great info from others here. To give you some advice on what to do in Cozumel, even if you choose to wing it (which I would recommend), what sort of a day would you imagine yourself having ? Are you beach people ? Is there cocktails involved ? Shopping ? A more active choice ? ATV's, waverunners ? Budget restrictions ? I know I'm asking alot of questions, but it may help you plan a day, YES in my world there is a plan on a "winging it" day. Although I can roll with the weather, etc if need be. What about you ?
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 12-29-2009, 01:01 PM

Well, we've booked our Honeymoon on the RC Navigator. I'm very excited, as this will be my first cruise!!!!! Also, my first time off the North American continent!

As for spending time in Cozumel, I hadn't thought about what we might want to do - probably a bit of everthing. I would like to spend some time on the beach, sampling local food, wandering the shops and just getting a feel for the place, enough to know if I want to come back on another cruise. One definite limiting factor will be money - we've only budgeted a few hundred dollars over the cost of the cruise itself, so we'll likely be spending that on the occasional special meal, as well as drinks and souvenirs.

Any suggestions for inexpensive, but fun and/or interesting activities in Cozumel would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

~Aaron's kitten

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Aaron's kitten

As far as Cozumel, you may want to look into "Beach Break" excursions either independently or through the cruise line. Being it's your first cruise, I would recommend booking through the cruise line. Beach break excursions usually allow access to the beach, plus the use of equipment. Some water sports (snorkeling, parasailing, etc.) may be extra money.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, compass, cruise, cruises, forum, freedom, honeymoon, june, monarch, navigator, pain, rccl, review, reviews, seas, special, tooth