Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM

Default Diamond ring - buying advice?
Ok. We bought a diamond ring at Diamonds International (the Wal-Mart / McDonalds of jewelery stores!) in St. Martin.

I know absolutely nothing about diamond rings by looking at them (and I'm convinced most people don't.)

I was lucky enough to run into a cruise-savy girl who expained to me how the discount system worked, based on the number (the price?) in the tag on the ring. So, the price of the ring was "X" dollars, and right away the guy was down to less than half that amt. I borrowed his calculator, and worked out the lowest price the girl said they would likely go to.

So I offererd the guy 10% less than that again. He went to check with the boss ( haha just like a used car salesman!) & came back & said "OK".
So I got the ring for like, 25% of the first "cost" (or like, 75% off)

How the heck do I know if I got ripped off or not??

AND ANOTHER THING: Why is there this crazy system of starting at a price of say $25000 for example, and then you end up getting it for $999!!!

If these places are so legit & offering such good deals - why not just put the price on it of $999 - that's it! no haggling , no bargaining. Just like McDonalds or Wal-Mart!! why this haggling system?????
Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Because so many people go in and just pay the list price. And as you say, most people know absolutely nothing about diamonds or their actual value.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM

I agree, most of us don't know enough about purchasing a diamond and must rely on the trustworthyness of the seller. I think, because it is the islands that some merchants do expect it from the tourists? It does help to purchase that sort of item from a large company such as some of them that are recommended by the cruise lines. I know that there is the feeling that they get a kick for doing this. It does help also to buy from one of these companies on the islands as that is where the savings can be taken advantage of. I like it that some have a US presence and I can go to them (and I have) if there is an issue with the purchase. It was a faulty lock on something and was taken care of and no cost to me on the shipping either. Also, getting an apprasial is very important as well and I have also used a local company to take a look at what I bought to see if it was actually worth the value as stated - it was. So far, so good on our purchases over the years!!

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-28-2011, 08:29 AM

I am helping my best friend pick out an engagement ring for his soon to be fiance. I bought my wife's ring from a local chain but he is convinced that buying online gets you better prices, so I agreed to help him with the search. I don't want to give him any bad suggestions so can anyone offer me a review of the rings from the my jewelry box website?

Last edited by penny3333; 07-28-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Advertising
Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Hi coltleader, I think you have spammed an incorrect website. This is for cruisers, not people buying jewelry. If you post again, you will be blocked for spamming. We welcome you to post about your cruising experience or questions, but do not welcome you trying to sell jewelry.

Tags
advice, buying, caribbean, carribbean, cruise, diamond, diamonds, forums, mcdonalds, purchase, reviews, ring, rings, ship, walmart