Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Default Have you ever cruised to Canada/New England from NY? If so, please tell me about it.
Hello All!

I just booked a cruise for October to New England/Canada, leaing from NY port, for my husband and I. I am wondering if anyone would mind sharing with me their experiences, opinions,comments and suggestions for those who have already gone on this cruise.

I am terrified of getting motion sickness...so I am very interested in people who have had experienced cruising in October in the New England area and could share with me what the tempature and water was like.

Also, I am interested in any one who has suggestions for how to deal with motion sickness if Dramamine does not work for them

Thank you so much for your time if you respond, it is very much appreciated.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the CruiseReviews forums, as well as to my favorite itinerary.

We've done the Canada/New England route several times, usually to/from Boston, as well as shorter cruises to Canada out of NY. One of our longer cruises was during the month of October. Weather can be pretty iffy then -- you can have warm sunny days or cool rainy days. There's no telling until a few days prior to the cruise. Most likely, you will experience several types of weather conditions, so my advice is to bring clothing that can be layered. A couple of sweatshirts and a windbreaker ought to do it, unless you are not accustomed to cool weather.

For motion sickness, I swear by green apples. This was told to me by a crew member when I was pregnant and could not take medications. Ginger also works for me, as does getting some fresh air.

What are your ports of call?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Unhappy Norwegian Jewel in Oct to NE and CAD
We sailed out of NY last Oct aboard Norwegian Jewel to New England/Nova Scotia. The weather was not great and the seas were quite high, with winds at gale force much of the time. Even with that, we had no trouble with motion sickness and I didn't observe any guests having any trouble either. No one was in the pool and maybe a half-dozen hearty souls braved the hot tubs on the days where the sun actually shown and the temps got above 50 The worst part of this particular cruise, tho, was the average age onboard --- had to be 65+ --- so there wasn't the energy and buzz we would have liked in the bars and after-hour scene. Overall it was a pretty 'sleepy' excursion. Very restful, but bordering on boring. The Nova Scotia ports were dreary and uninspiring - and no, there was no fall foliage to behold. We're from the northeast, so that was no big deal for us but I did feel sorry for the folks who may have been disappointed in this. Hope the cruise you've chosen lives up to your expectations.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:24 AM

Smile
Being from New England, I can agree with LisaP about the fall conditions and the last comments about rough seas and chilly weather. Very early October can be just beautiful here in New England with sunny days, some warmth, and great conditions. It is not the time of year for being in a ships pool but laying up on the deck in some full sun with little wind could be great..We have been on the beach in early October and boating as well on a very large lake and its great. All in all, it is still fall and with that comes the chances for cool temps, clouds and rain, not to mention those pesky storms that can come up the eastern seaboard. But, I'd bet that the ports of call would be really nice at that time of year.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Deseree 16.....A cruise to Canada is a nice break from everyday New England life.....In Halifax do the HOHO (Hop On Hop Off ) Bus tour and get a great feel for an old seafaring town , You will also be able catch a tour out to Peggy's Cove (You will have time to do both); In St. John catch a tour out to the Sea Caves on the Bay of Fundy..You will be able to observe the speed at which the tide comes and goes....
That same tour will allow you to observe the Reversing Falls and Rapids changing directions!! Stop at O'Leary's Pub and have yourself a MooseHead Ale and walk the 500 yards back to Your ship!....You'll enjoy North Atlantic Cruising at its Best......Don't forget to pack a warm sweater and a good rain slicker!! It's a fun cruise!! We do the run to Canada every few years....

Enjoy..You're on a Cruise!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Montserrat Villas
Old 04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
There are some cruise lines that do the trip in the spring early summer maybe the seas are not as rough then
It is beautiful anytime
Old 05-13-2011, 01:42 PM

Default New England/Canada
We did this cruise and had a good time. The weather cooperated the whole trip.

Did New London & Mystic (good shopping etc.), Halifax (you must go to Peggy's Cove, also get the feel good story about the Halifax disaster helped by Bostonians),St. Johns, Bar Harbor, Portland and Boston.

We enjoyed the whole trip. Wanted to see the leaves changing color but that year the colors were weak.

Tags
boring, boston, bring, canada, clothes, cruise, cruises, england, forum, october, raining, rough, seas, seasickness, weather