Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Don't make Customs Mad (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/37089-dont-make-customs-mad.html)

penny3333 06-08-2011 11:34 AM

Don't make Customs Mad

P&O Passengers report 7 hour security scan:Cruisers gripe about 'nightmare' experience at U.S. Customs - USATODAY.com

Jim C. 06-08-2011 11:53 AM

Just like they say... "Don't mention the word "bomb" at the airport security line" Some people don't have the common sense of a gnat. I hope the original complainers had to suffer along with the people they inconvenienced.

Dave 06-08-2011 02:23 PM

You'd think people who do world cruises or otherwise travel often would understand that the Customs entry zone for any country is a place where you have no rights and are totally at the mercy of the officials. I suspect the cruise line version of the story is more correct - there were computer issues and the passengers mouthing off set the stage for officiousness to reign.

macmom111 06-08-2011 04:48 PM

well my take on it is that some people who took this cruise had a sense of entitlement. I may be wrong, just my belief.
besides that... you are not in American where you can say almost anything you want and get away with it. best advice, grin and bear it.

LHT28 06-08-2011 04:49 PM

You do not even have to get mouthy & they still delay you
we have docked in Mia several times & never clear the ship before 9 am
even though arriving at 6 or 7 am

Men with guns & power:eek:

LHT28 06-08-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 288533)
You'd think people who do world cruises or otherwise travel often would understand that the Customs entry zone for any country is a place where you have no rights and are totally at the mercy of the officials.

if they were cleared at several US ports prior to LA with out incident why would they think it would be different
If you are NON American you have to line up for Immigration more so than US citizens who just clear customs

LHT28 06-08-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmom111 (Post 288536)
well my take on it is that some people who took this cruise had a sense of entitlement. I may be wrong, just my belief.
besides that... you are not in American where you can say almost anything you want and get away with it. best advice, grin and bear it.

WOW
I thought America was the land of free speech or is that just for Americans :eek:
I have heard so many Americans griping in Europe & elsewhere
The Countries do not speak English , they do not take USD etc..
Sense of entitlement:confused:

Dave 06-08-2011 06:03 PM

Lyn,

Please don't misunderstand what was said here. Nobody is saying 'Americans' are superior, and I think there were some spelling errors in at least one post. I do think that anyone who assumes they should have gratis access at every port just because they had such at previous ports is not being realistic.

LHT28 06-09-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 288540)
Lyn,

I do think that anyone who assumes they should have gratis access at every port just because they had such at previous ports is not being realistic.

I agree but I would think that because they were not fingerprinted at each port why would they expect to be at LA

I for one would NOT be standing in line for 7 hrs without eating (if that was the case)
They will be calling my name ;)
I am sure they could have done it better if the system was down...call by deck or alphabetical by surnames
Then people could go sit someplace
It sounded like that was the main objection ..standing in line for hours then having to be fingerprinted

It is not like they morphed into someone else since the last checkpoint :eek:

Jim C. 06-09-2011 08:44 AM

I wouldn't have waited in line for 7 hours period... I would have turned around an got back on the ship... If I was in a foreign port and they did this I would not have gotten off the ship and assumed the country did not want my money nor my presence. If people got off the ship and realized there was a long wait to clear and then the SHIP would not let them back on.. then it is a cruise line issue.