Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Vanessa likes to use check lists for the luggage, which is her area. She also bought a luggage scale and so we don't get surprised at the airport. And, we weigh it twice and don't get too close to the limit.

My job is assembling the documentation, passports, checking in with the airline and printing those boarding passes. I also do the mail and newspaper holds. Up until my last flight to a cruise I would keep all of it in my roller bag. But then my connecting flight ran out of overhead bin space (hogs!) and my carry-on had to be gate checked. I was in a near panic all the way from ATL to FLL, and then when we arrived they told me that gate checked items would go to the carousel with everything else! I haven't run that fast in 30 years. So, that won't happen again. I'll be back to a small carry-on item for the vital stuff.

Just to make sure nothing has changed with Deltas rules, I also check their website to verify luggage sizes and weights. In fact I just did so.

Another thing to do - make sure your air reservations have complete TSA Secure Flight information. This is where they want your full name as on your ID, birth date, and sex. I checked our air last week and for some reason my wife's info had gotten messed up. This could create a problem at the checkpoint.

I have a bag of 35mm SLR gear but haven't used it in years. I'm charging batteries for my digital SLR as I type this.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:31 PM

Dave, only 6 more days. I know I couldn't concentrate on anything but my cruise! I know y'all will have a marvelous time. Like I said the suite that I saw the video on was fabulous (loft suite), I'm sure your suite will be remarkable. Try to post some video or pictures when y'all come back.

Happy Anniversary, and Bon Voyage!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to change my cruise to the Caribbean in December, couldn't find a decent air fare, so we'll be driving, thank the Lord. It's so much less hassle.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Administrator

I guess I didn't tell you that we had to downgrade a bit. We are in a grand suite now. I had to send the difference in price to the IRS on April 15.

But we still get the same perks, just a smaller suite. I believe we can handle it!

Our luggage is mostly packed but the parlor looks like a tailor shop with suits and shirts hanging all over the place.

Another thing to remember to do prior to a cruise is to disable international data roaming on your cellphone (if it has that option). Although my iPhone goes in the safe as soon as I board, if I should need it and didn't disable roaming I could get hit with a big bill.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 AM

These are all great ideas and thoughts and I'm happy to say that over the past few years, having been to this site, have put most of these into practice. I also have a memo on file for "the care and handling" of our home while we are away so that our children can check in from time to time during our absence.
Gee Dave, a luggage scale, I guess I should think about one of them and that way I can stop having to hold the luggage in front of me while standing on the bathroom scale!! LOL.
Believe it or not, this scale is so good that we have found that when weighed at the airport, we are almost spot on.
Enjoy that anniversary cruise Dave..

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Default yep
Our cruise this Saturday will be the first one in which we are actually driving to the port (Cape Liberty) and not flying. I have to admit that we have not even started packing yet due to a few incidents that have occurred unexpectedly in the last few weeks (basement backup that destroyed our finished basement, new ac & furnace installation due to water damage, and an elderly parent that will be coming home tomorrow after several weeks in the hospital) Ouch...talk about needing a vacation! Anyways....fortunately for my family I had completed and printed our RCI Sea Passes a few weeks ago. All my misc paper work is in my backpack along with money, cameras, passports, etc. This does not leave my person until arrival in our cabin. I am actually looking forward to the 11 hour drive to NJ….hey anytime you leave Detroit it has to be better! So I guess the point I am trying to make is that....it's never too early to start preparing. Packing (clothes)....we can knock that out in a few hours tomorrow night. Cya after Bermuda!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 PM

417Rogers, have a marvelous cruise! Bermuda is definitely on my horizon. I'd love to take the one out of Charleston, which I'm looking at more and more for next year.

I love the idea of the house check list, peter l!

Dave, I can totally relate to the IRS thing. Ron was burned this year again. He followed his accountant's advice. He said if it happens again next year, he's getting a new accountant.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM
417Rogers
Have a great cruise. I love Bermuda and have been on the Explorer 4 times. I love going under the Verrazano bridge.
I always have to try on my 'cruise clothes' they tend to shrink a bit now and again!
I've also heard you should call your credit card company, but I've never had a problem

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 06-15-2011, 03:07 AM
417Rogers,
WOW, I just love your Cruise line up, no need to unpack at all !! It sure looks wonderful. I like driving to the ports it sure beats going to the airport. That is the part I hate. This last trip in Jan the flying and airport mess was like being in Hell and than you arrive at the Ship and Angels wearing white gloves smile and hand you Champagne you know your in a little piece of Heaven !! I have learned a few tricks reading all these posts. Great ideas from everyone. Have a wonderful cruise Dave, Grand Suite sounds awesome to me.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Tags
booklet, copy, cruise, cruising, cuise, ging, iphone, make, order, paperwork, preparing, prior, put, tricks, upcoming, weeks