Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 05:55 PM

Default Help with my honeymoon!
Hi All,

I am basically new to cruising as I took my first cruise in January 2011 on the RC Radiance of the Seas to Mexico.

I am getting married next summer and both my fiance and I have agreed that we want to cruise in Europe. Upon meeting with my friend/travel agent he recommended the a 13 night trip on the Celebrity Silhouette with ports including Rome, Naples, Malta, Piraeus, Santorini, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Mykonos, Chania, Messina and Venice.

Another option would be a 12 night trip on the RC Serenade of the Seas, quite similar I believe to the ship I was on in January, with ports including Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno, Rome, Piraeus, Kusadasi, Santorini and Naples. This option would be $1600 cheaper.

WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE? Considering both ships, all ports and expenses.

THANKS!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:23 PM

Kayteelah, Welcome to Cruise Reviews. Yes, the Serenade is a sister ship to the Radiance. $1600 is a big difference but there are several factors to consider. First, are you looking at the same type of cabin (balcony, outside,). Even if you might be looking at a balcony on both ships, Celebrity has balcony categories that come with Concierge and upgraded amenities. I hope your travel agent friend explained the differences between these two cruise lines and these two ships. The Silhouette is a brand new ship that just came out, the Serenade is eight years old. Celebrity is a premium cruise line and caters to a different demographic market than Royal Caribbean. You do have one extra day on the Silhouette and more ports, so that also accounts for some of the difference.

You already have sailed on Royal Caribbean and liked the product. You can use the difference of $1600 to do a lot of shore excursions. But, ask yourself if you particularly wanted to see certain ports that the Silhouette does that the Serenade doesn't, or do you want to try the Celebrity product to compare, or sail on a brand new ship? The Silhouette does have some unique features. The ambiance on the Silhouette is different that the Serenade. This is your honeymoon. If none of those are factors then the Serenade would be a great cruise for you.

Last edited by Cruise Fanatic; 09-07-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 AM

I think it's important not to stare on the money too much. A honeymoon is a honeymoon and if you have already invested a small fortune into a wedding then you might as well choose a hoonmoon destination that will be equally as fullfilling.

Like the above poster said, the ports should be a major decision factor as they can make or break your cruise as much as the quality of the ship. It's without question that the Celebrity Silhouette docks at much more romantic places which are in my opinion more fit for a honeymoon. So I suggest writing down all destinations and jotting down whether they have anything interesting to offer. There's nothing better than killing two birds with one stone. If you are able to combine your honeymoon with places and experiences you have been itching for then you can save money on not having to visit those places at a later stage in life.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Default Thank you!
Thank you both for your responses.

Since I have never been to this part of Europe, I am not sure which cities actually offer a more sought after experience. Celebrity definitely is appealing. Both would be balcony rooms. We will probably end up picking the Celebrity based on the fact that it is something different.

With that being said, any excursions that you would recommend?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 AM

Wish I could help, but have never been on those itineraries. Take a look through our Europe Port Chat section, there may be something there that interests you.

Tags
1600, caribbean, celebrity, chania, cruise, cruises, europe, honeymoon, review, reviews, royal, silhouette, silhoutte, tour, upgrade