Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Default Balcony??
I was wondering what you folks thought about balconies. We have had balconies, OV, and inside. We have booked a balcony for our next cruise at a considerable amount more than an inside. Of course the balcony offers the best view, but do you think it is worth the extra money?
Papa
Old 11-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Administrator

We always book at least a balcony category, because we like the natural light and ability to walk outside when we want. I am a bit claustrophobic so inside cabins are not my preference, although I do book them when I cruise solo for the cost reasons.

Which category you book really can depend on the itinerary. A cruise with lots of scenery while at sea makes a balcony more useful. Alaska and cruises to Canada or around Hawaii spring to mind. Cruises with many days at sea, such as a trans-Atlantic would make an inside cabin more logical.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 PM

There's a lot of factors that can go into the decision. It will be different for everyone. The length of the cruise and destination would be two factors. The price is a factor, but to some it may be more about the experience having a balcony brings, rather than just the cost of the balcony. Most of the newer ships are 80% balconies and the cost of balconies are more cost effective. The older ships don't have as many so you'll generally see higher cost for the ones they do have. Some people will say they don't spend any time in their room. I find the more I cruise that I do spend more time in my cabin just relaxing. A few weeks ago I sailed on the NCL Gem out of New York and I had a balcony cabin. We used the balcony for the sail away out of New York until after we had sailed past the Statue of Liberty. The cruise sailed to Port Canaveral and the Bahamas. We used the balcony for coffee in the morning and watching sunsets. When the ship was in port for eight hours or more we would use the balcony after coming back to the ship from port.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:56 PM
As usual Dave is right on with his advice! Cruise within Your own Zone of Comfort bearing in mind the costs, the Seas you are cruising in and the distances/time between ports! For Myself..I always require a porthole as a minimum......Then to...A Grand Villa would be really nice!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 11-28-2011, 08:11 AM

We love balconies and that is all we book. We like the fresh air and hearing the ocean as we cruise. We also enjoy being on the balcony as we enter the ports. Or having breakfast on our balcony. I could go on and on!

We have found, on several of our cruises, that a balcony is only $100 more per person than an oceanview. But, it all boils down to individual preferences, budget, itinerary, etc.

We just made the final payment for our cruise in February. Can't wait!

Nadine
Old 11-29-2011, 05:32 AM

Red face
I fully concur with all the balcony lovers for the stated reasons and more. I'm not sure I could go back to not having the convenience of one.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. What you folks say makes a lot of sense. I will let you know how my next cruise works out. We have an extended balcony on the Legend in February.
Papa

Tags
alaska, balconies, balcony, cruise, cruises, experiences, extra, higher, pay, review, reviews