Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 06:39 AM

The most frustrating thing is the last two charges allowed were from Northwest Airlines, and Royal Caribbean Int'l, Both on March 1 (that evening the card was frozen). When I point blank asked if the accounts are audited manually, and was told yes, I asked if those two charges didn't contain a clue. He said and airline charge and a cruise charge are not enough to indicate that we were traveling. I wonder what would have been enough--sounds like from some of these posts even notifying them isn't always enough.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-15-2009, 06:48 AM

In addition to notifying your credit card company that you will be out of the country, it is also recommended that you contact the U.S. Embassy in that country. The state department would like to know when U.S. Citizens are in foreign countries. I don't think a one day stop at cruise ports puts passengers in danger, but if a person would be more comfortable visiting foreign countries after registering, it is easy to register on the U.S. Dept of State Website. Has anyone who reads this post ever registered with the the State Department when cruising? I was wondering how prevalant that is?

Link to State Department Travel Registration Website

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 AM

We always call our credit card companies before leaving and give them our itinerary. Never thought about registering with the Embassy or Consulate. I always thought that the cruise line had to give the countries visited a manifest of who was on board.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 AM

How many people have actually read pages 2-8 of your passport? Interesting reading.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

kls,

We prefer that links to websites be used and that information not be copied and pasted. A link will go to current information whereas something copied and pasted may become outdated. Also there are copyright issues with most sites.

I don't see a need to register with the State Department when on a cruise, given you are typically within a short distance of the port and in a more controlled environment. I'd also think the embassies in countries with popular cruise ports would not want to be bothered with thousands of Americans telling them "my ship stops in Cozumel on August 3rd". Now if I was going to stay in Uruguay for a month I'd certainly consider registering.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:14 AM

Good day, this is always the procedures for any credit card. It's to protect you as there are lots of people stealing these cards and using them. I think it great that the credit card companies do this. We always call the week before we travel, even in our own country, it makes no difference. We are starting to roll out the chip cards with a PIN number, but you will still have to contact your credit card company to advise them of your plans.

Closed Thread

Tags
card, credit, cruise, locked