Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Default What Kind of Food Would You Want On A Cruise?
Through out all of my cruises, I have seen a wide variety of food. It seems I have seen food from all corners of the globe on my cruises. It makes me wonder what other passengers think about it and whether they like it or would like something new?

With that in mind, what kinds of food would you like (or like more of) on your cruises?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:58 AM

Talking
For the most part I do not have an issue with cruise line food from the dining room. If I could select to add a regular to the menu, I would like to see a genuine surf and turf; that being a great steak and a Maine Lobstah! Yum, Yum. I have to go now, my water is beginning to boil and time to put them critters in the pot.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Administrator

I think they have most things covered these days, except for one...'real' barbecue as in Texas brisket, southern pulled pork and of course spare ribs. And I don't mean the faux barbecue stuff such as the ribs Carnival serves which come from an oven. They do make electric smokers.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Dave, I thought of the same thing. I was planing on writing in my suggestions for new food ideas, but I thought I better let other members go first.

When I was on the Norwegian Pearl, during one afternoon, they set up a charcoal grill on-deck and grilled-up some ribs for everyone. They were really good, but there is still a long way to go before that could be considered "real American BBQ".

My ideas for new food on cruises:

- Thai food.
- American BBQ.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 PM

With all the Filipino crew members I'm surprised they don't have Lumpia and Pancit. I'd love to have some good authentic Lumpia and Pancit. (Thinking back on my time spent in the Philippines.)
Old 01-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Administrator

I love Lumpia and Pancit too. Pancit Bihon in particular. When I was stationed at NAS Cubi Point (Subic Bay Naval Station for those unfamiliar) we had a couple of favorite places in town that were really decent. Nina's Papagayo was my favorite restaurant. And don't forget the pandesal. We also had a friend who ran a sari-sari store named Peso Jimmy. His wife was a great cook and he had us over for dinner a few times.

Another thing to consider: there are lots of Indian chefs and cooks on cruise ships. While some cruise lines offer a few Indian dishes I'd like to see them expand the menu.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:58 PM

I've actually seen a lot of Indian food on the buffets. I remember on one NCL ship they had a whole separate section dedicated to Indian food. I'm pretty sure on several RCI ships I've seen an Indian food section on the buffet in the Windjammer. I think usually at lunch.

I like to tease the Filipino waiters and ask them if they have any Balut.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Balut would definitely be 'out there' in the fringes! But I would like to see San Miguel beer at the bars, and definitely ice cold.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Our last two HAL cruises had an Asian section on the Lido lunch buffet. Not sure which cuisine, but it sure was good and a nice change from "standard" buffet issue. Two HAL ships also have the Tamarind specialty restaurant which features Asian Fusion... haven't sailed either ship, so I don't really know what that really means . . .
Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 AM

I've never had any problems finding something I like on board, either. They finally got some chili on the buffet so you could have a chili dog at lunch. I guess sometimes I miss having some potato chips. Sometimes they'll have some at the bar. Since I grew up eating regular ol' food, I guess I don't require fancy dishes. Country ham and red eye gravy would be good.

Tags
caribian, carnival, choices, cruise, food, indian, kind, like, love, people, powered, royal, ships, show, triumph, vbulletin