Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 AM

Question Do the recent accidents on Costa cruises
cause you,,,or public ,,in general to avoid ALL cruises??just Costa???makes me wonder the effect this will have,,or little.
Was on the SeaDream 2 yrs.ago in Adriatic,,we had engine fire,lost all power,and were adrift for 10 hrs.with no AC>,,toilets that flushed,,hot food,,etc...........I Never heard any news on that,,,but only 120 passengers affected...
But,,,WOULD NOT,,,got on another SD cruise,,for that reason,,and MANY others..Plus,got NO REFUND offer,,and paid LUXURY prices...whew...regardless...have gone on many cruises since with no worries.Ideas??
Old 03-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Administrator

These things have short term effects but in the long run it will not be an impact on the cruise industry. Reports are that the Concordia event had a slight ripple effect on new bookings across all cruise lines but really didn't cause more than a blip in cancelled bookings. I think the Costa Allegra event will only be a further impact to Costa and not other lines.

Costa did brilliant damage control on the Allegra event. 100% refunds including a free two-week resort vacation in The Seychelles, plus flights home. I read that Costa had three chartered jets sitting on the tarmac at the airport waiting for the ship to arrive. Half of the passengers took them up on the resort offer and went from the ship to buses to the resort.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 AM

The one long term effect the Costa Concordia incident has already had on the cruise industry in general is a review and revision of each cruise line's safety policy, particularly as it applies to passenger safety drills.

Costa Cruise Line has seen a significant dip in new bookings, but it's even hard to predict whether this will continue to impact their future. Costa is the most popular cruise line in Europe, with headquarters in Italy and marketing efforts directed mostly to Europeans. The public tends to have a short memory, especially when the fault points to human error, as it does in the case of the Concordia.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 AM

I feel perception by the general public and cruisers in particular depends on how professional the cruise line is at the time of the incident and what is done (if anything) to reimburse the passengers if it is a major imposition. A 1/2 day incident that puts no one at risk of harm is easily forgotten if the passengers are taken care of to the best ability of the crew at the time.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Good day all...I agree, travellers in general do have short memories, but the Concordia event will keep coming up in the news as the possible/probable trial of the captain continues and news of any possible law suits and/or settlements make the news. I truly hope the truth does come out but time will tell. We can only wish the best in the future to the passengers who were affected and the families of deceased.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM

Personally, the recent accidents wouldn't cause me to avoid cruising. I agree with the others here that most of the public has a short memory, although we'll have to see what happens with the Concordia event, as to whether or not that gets to trial.

I'm trying to decide when I can go on another cruise, as work is crazy right now, so my next cruise may not be until 2013.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I have no problem with taking another cruise but I would not choose Costa at this time.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:51 AM

Watched an hour review on PBS by MMA on the Costa incident with much video taken by some of the passengers and also commentary as well by others during the course of the time from collision to evacuation of the ship...Just a very scary time for the passengers. I just can't imagine first time cruisers that had not had a drill prior to sailing and not having a clue of what to do or how to get from point A to point B. One of the first things I like to do on a ship is to get a broad layout of where things are and how to get from my cabin to the muster station. MMA stated that if the ship had not been moved back closer to shore by wind and waves, the loss of lives could have been hundreds, if not more. This is the first presentation I have seen since the incident played out on national TV.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 AM

Wink I agee,,,BUT,,feel some onboard credit for next
[quote=peter l;292771]I feel perception by the general public and cruisers in particular depends on how professional the cruise line is at the time of the incident and what is done (if anything) to reimburse the passengers if it is a major imposition. A 1/2 day incident that puts no one at risk of harm is easily forgotten if the passengers are taken care of to the best ability of the crew at the time.

Peterl[/

cruise,,or future discount would have encouraged many onboard SeaDream,,to consider this cruiseline again,,With nothing being done,,we,,and 3 other couples agreed,,would ""never go on SD again".Was just using this accident as example,,,realize 10 hrs. a "hassle" not life threatening...
Sorry I Missed that PBS specialQUOTE]

Last edited by alexandra cruiser; 03-06-2012 at 06:16 AM. Reason: wrong word choice
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 AM

The documentary about the Concordia started running a week or so ago, and has been on Public TV at least the couple of times I watched it. I'm sure it will be replayed many more times.

Tags
2012, accidents, affects, book, costa, cruise, cruises, effects, happen, impact, industry, line, major, marketing, mishaps, problems, recent, recently