Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 AM

Default passengers left at dock
While cruising last week I understand passengers were left by RCCL at St Maarten. Anyone with information? What does a passenger do if left without funds or passport.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Red face That happened on 2 cruises so far,,I know
and its up to passenger to get to next port...I always carry passport(or copy) along with credit card,cellphone,copy of itinerary,,etc..
The first couple caught up with us in next port.The second time,,not sure WHAT happened,but never saw them again.
That s why I always either go with ships tour or realize ,,,I m on my own,,,and come prepared,,just in case.
I was NEVER something I thought about,,,until above happened and now I KNOW..
Old 04-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruisereviews.com. While I have no information about the cruise you reference, I do have some tips about how to prepare for this rare possibility.

First, make sure you have a photocopy of your passport. A color photocopy is best. While it does not serve the same purpose, it can help with a replacement, should that become necessary. Also have an original form of photo ID (which you would have anyway in order to return to the ship) to prove your identity.

Also important is knowing who to contact. In this case, it would be the Port Agent for the specific port of call. It's easy to find this information -- it's printed in the daily activity sheet and/or port information sheet you should receive on the ship. If you don't have one, go to the ship's information desk.

Also have an ATM card (in case local currency is needed) and a credit card, as you will definitely incur some costs.

Finally, if you have travel insurance, have that information available to you, as well. Some companies give you a wallet-sized tear-off sheet with your policy number and a contact number. While insurance will probably not cover you if you are late due to your own doing (such as falling asleep on a beach, for example), you may be covered for other situations. If that's the case, keep all receipts.

This is not very likely to happen to you, but it always pays to be prepared.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Administrator

This is a primary reason we decided to get passport cards with our passport renewals this year. While they do not qualify as full passports for air travel back to the U.S., they are still a substantial form of ID and we plan to use them from now on as our 'port ID', and would also expedite issuance of travel documents from the State Department should we need them.

We also never leave the ship without two credit cards - a different one for me and a different one for my wife. One of these is normally an American Express card and not because they are widely accepted for purchases. American Express is still a 'travel related services' company and therefore they have a lot of ability to help stranded card members.

If a cruise ship knows a passenger will be late, they will not leave if they can help it. While this is the case for ship-sponsored tours in most cases, it isn't always true. Ships have had to leave port even though one of 'their' tours had not returned on time. The port authority has final say on when ships come and go, and if they say 'you will leave now' then that is what the ship will have to do.

It is quite rare to happen, but it does. Just be prepared by having ID, a source of funds, and do not panic.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Great idea on the passport card, Dave. I may consider that upon next renewal (or sooner) in addition to my regular passport.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Depending on where you are going, it might be a good thing to get the contact numbers for the U.S. Embassys for the countries you are traveling in. We had these for all the countries on our Med trip just in case.

Also, be sure you can contact your bank and credit card companies or use their websites (smartphone of some kind). As we always contact the credit card companies and our bank to tell them where and when we will be using our cards, you might have to let them know you are stuck and to let your cards work there another day or two.

Chuck
Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Usually, the contact information for the broker/agent the ship uses for the ports you are visiting are either on your newsletter or on the map/brochure the ships give you for the port. It's very useful information. But, do make sure you take ID, credit/debit card with you. If you miss the ship, you're on your own.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 PM

when we left grand caymans last month the ship pulled out of port area and moved to the open water area about miles from the other ships and just sat there, after about 45 mins a pilot boat came up with a passenger (1). he boarded the ship and then we left. I had never seen that before...I thought with all the bad press Carnival was getting lately that was why they waited for this fella. if it were a late excursion there should have been more people.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 PM
We have seen the pilot boat or other harbour boats bring passengers out to the ship once it has left the dock

Sometimes they get lucky & get a ride to the ship
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 05-17-2012, 05:38 AM

Wink Saw something similar last June in Oslo,,
the ship was supposed to leave at 10 pm and they paged a few passengers that had not come onboard.They ended up waiting at least 45 mins...not sure if they showed up.But have never seen them delay leaving port..perhaps something else caused this or the passengers were VERY LUCKY>and they were NOT on ship excursion.

Tags
boat, cruise, dock, left, marteen, missed, passenger, passengers, people, pilot, port, reviews, ship, ships, st