Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Cruise ship serving Maine Lobstahs (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/38427-cruise-ship-serving-maine-lobstahs.html)

peter l 09-10-2012 05:24 AM

Cruise ship serving Maine Lobstahs

I have read and also recently heard on TV that some of the cruise lines that are visiting the Portland Maine and Bar Harbor ports are purchasing the "real Maine lobstahs" for the passengers dining experience. When ever we have been served the so called (langosta) lobster, it was served as a tail portion only and the waiters would quickly remove it from the shell for the passengers to eat..I wonder how the New England lobster is served and if anyone has recently experienced it being served. We enjoyed six of these great "bugs" last evening; YUM, YUM...

Peterl

poormom 09-11-2012 05:14 AM

Royal Caribbean has Maine Lobstah every night, but it's and extra 24.95 for the in-the-shell with claws version. I believe it's a 1 1/2 lb lobster.

peter l 09-11-2012 05:31 AM

I assume that the real Maine Lobstah is served in the specialty restaurants only as I have not seen it served in the main dining rooms when I have sailed RCI; only the southern cousin has been on my plate.

Peterl

poormom 09-11-2012 12:31 PM

Not sure if it's just the big girls, but in August on Oasis, it was on the bottom of the main dininig room menu each night, along with the chop's steak. Never saw anyone order it though.

Dave 09-11-2012 01:08 PM

I think I read that RCI is retiring the extra-fee steak in the MDR and will go only with the $25 lobster. Maybe I was hallucinating. I've never seen anyone order either item. What I found offensive was the little note on the menu informing me a 15% gratuity would be added to a lobster order. It isn't a bottle of wine from the bar so why the tip?

peter l 09-11-2012 04:42 PM

It just seemed that with the large number of lobsters reported in the news being purchased by the cruise lines that I figured they were giving the cruisers a treat. How silly of me to presume that the lines were to give the cruisers a break. I can see why you never see anyone order the lobster as many find them intimadating to handle or not knowing how to get at the meat in a boiled lobster. Thats why most people don't mind the southern lobster as it is served baked and the waiters take the meat out of the tail; mot much taste to suit me; I'm spoiled. I prefer to have my lobster at home or at the ocean where I can dig into it and not worry about the mess.

Peterl

Dave 09-11-2012 04:58 PM

Nothing beats the flavor of a cold-water lobster from the northeast. Given how cheap it has been lately you'd think the cruise lines would scarf it up. Even if they had to freeze it it would still taste better than the lobster they usually serve.

The problem is too many people like the 'idea' of lobster and saying they had it on their cruise but they really don't want the genuine article or do the work necessary to get all the meat and other good stuff out of the shell.

I am a big fan of the late James Beard and he said the same thing about cheese, saying that for a party one should always have a couple of mild cheeses like cheddar and gouda for those who really don't like cheese but want to look like they do, and of course the runny, smelly, moldy stuff for those who love cheese.

LisaP 09-11-2012 06:15 PM

Roughly 10 years ago, we were on a Canada/New England cruise on the now-gone Regal Empress. One of the ports on our itinerary was Portland, Maine. At the beginning of dinner that night, the lights dimmed in the dining room. The waiters then came out in a line, each carrying a platter with a live lobster atop. We all cheered; they went back to the kitchen.

Yes, we ordered the lobster that night. And it was fabulous. It was also the only time I recall having a full lobster in the shell on a cruise ship. I'm certain the waiters cracked the shells for pax, yet I don't recall if I just dug in myself!

I wouldn't pay $25 for one, though. (Then again, I live in New England and can get them for less than $5 a pound at the supermarket.)

peter l 09-12-2012 01:47 PM

I agree Lisa, I prefer to eat them at home/outdoors and thoroughly enjoy them; right under $5. or $25. no brainer huh !

Peterl

LHT28 09-14-2012 08:14 PM

Oceania advertised whole Maine lobster in Polo & Terrace Cafe
They also have lobster tails at Waves (burger grill) but not sure if it is Maine lobster
I cannot eat it anymore but the northern lobsters are the best ;)