Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Flying in day of cruise at 12:56 pm and cruise leaves at 4:30, is that enough time? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/38536-flying-day-cruise-12-56-pm-cruise-leaves-4-30-enough-time.html)

ironmask 10-27-2012 02:30 PM

Flying in day of cruise at 12:56 pm and cruise leaves at 4:30, is that enough time?

My family and I (4 people total) are flying from Toronto to Tampa on December 22. I have already booked the flight and cruise so just wondering if we have enough time to get to the cruise (royal caribbean).

ironmask 10-27-2012 02:55 PM

Forgot to mention the flight to tampa is with westjet, the flight back is with Air canada (I booked the roundtrip flight with flight network). The cruise i booked with expedia.

MCPayne 10-27-2012 03:06 PM

I think that's cutting it WAY too close. For a 4:30 set sail, I believe you have to be checked in by 3:00 pm. That only leaves you 2 hours to get bags, get to the port, get through security at the port, and get checked in. Check with Royal Caribbean, and see what they recommend as the latest arrival time for your cruise. You can find that info here, and just select your ship, sail date, and embarkation port and debarkation port from the dropdown list. The embarkation port is where you are boarding the ship, and the debarkation port is where you will get off the ship at the end of the cruise.

Also, bear in mind, that since you did not book air through the cruise line, they will not wait for you if for whatever reason you're late, and you will have to catch up to the ship at the next port of call at your expense.

LisaP 10-27-2012 03:47 PM

I agree that this is way too close. You'll also have to go through U.S. immigration, and the timing is unpredictable on that one.

I plugged your cruise information into the form that MCPayne provided. The latest arrival time they suggest is 12:30. So, you are already a half-hour past that, and they might not account for the immigration procedures I mentioned above.

Even if everything goes smoothly (and, from experience, flying during winter can mean delays), it will be extremely tight. My suggestion is to pony up the change fee and either take an earlier flight or, better yet, fly in a day earlier and spend the night in a hotel in or near Tampa.

Please keep us posted.

Nadine 10-27-2012 06:16 PM

We live in Illinois where flying during the winter can be iffy because of ice, snow, etc. We always arrive a day early, just to be on the safe side.

Don't forget to get travel insurance. It could come in very handy if you experience flight cancellations or delays due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.

I agree with Lisa. Pay the change fee and then you can relax and not have to worry about rushing or delays.

Have a great cruise!

Nadine

wooddon 10-27-2012 08:54 PM

When you leave from Toronto you go thru U.S. immigration in Toronto before you leave and not upon arrival. So there will be immigration concerns. However I would never fly down the same day. We always go down one or two days before the departure date. This is way too close for comfort. Change your tickets and go down the day before.

alexandra cruiser 10-28-2012 07:14 AM

Speaking from experience,,,CHANGE FLIGHT

and pay the fee,,,know its HARD,but having ALMOST missed a cruise due to airline problems.<<I NEVER make that mistake again. It s simpy NOT worth the hassle and think of it as having learned an expensive lesson.Sorry.

LHT28 10-28-2012 07:40 AM

I would call the airline & ask to change to the day before
You can book direct with the airlines ..same prices;)

You do realize that it is winter in Dec & flights are delayed or canceled due to weather
Hope you bought trip Cancelation/ interuption insurance

Dave 10-28-2012 08:05 AM

Not meaning to pile on, but December 22 is also the Saturday on the last weekend before Christmas. This means crowded airports, very likely flight delays, and all the other holiday air travel hassles.

LisaP 10-28-2012 12:31 PM

Thank you for the clarification, wooddon.

ironmask, please let us know how the flight rebooking turns out. As many of us have mentioned, there are many reasons for changing your flight times. I'm glad you asked for our advice on this one while there's still time to change it.