Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Default Flying in day of cruise at 12:56 pm and cruise leaves at 4:30, is that enough time?
My family and I (4 people total) are flying from Toronto to Tampa on December 22. I have already booked the flight and cruise so just wondering if we have enough time to get to the cruise (royal caribbean).
Old 10-27-2012, 02:55 PM

Forgot to mention the flight to tampa is with westjet, the flight back is with Air canada (I booked the roundtrip flight with flight network). The cruise i booked with expedia.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM

I think that's cutting it WAY too close. For a 4:30 set sail, I believe you have to be checked in by 3:00 pm. That only leaves you 2 hours to get bags, get to the port, get through security at the port, and get checked in. Check with Royal Caribbean, and see what they recommend as the latest arrival time for your cruise. You can find that info here, and just select your ship, sail date, and embarkation port and debarkation port from the dropdown list. The embarkation port is where you are boarding the ship, and the debarkation port is where you will get off the ship at the end of the cruise.

Also, bear in mind, that since you did not book air through the cruise line, they will not wait for you if for whatever reason you're late, and you will have to catch up to the ship at the next port of call at your expense.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 10-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Administrator

I agree that this is way too close. You'll also have to go through U.S. immigration, and the timing is unpredictable on that one.

I plugged your cruise information into the form that MCPayne provided. The latest arrival time they suggest is 12:30. So, you are already a half-hour past that, and they might not account for the immigration procedures I mentioned above.

Even if everything goes smoothly (and, from experience, flying during winter can mean delays), it will be extremely tight. My suggestion is to pony up the change fee and either take an earlier flight or, better yet, fly in a day earlier and spend the night in a hotel in or near Tampa.

Please keep us posted.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 PM

We live in Illinois where flying during the winter can be iffy because of ice, snow, etc. We always arrive a day early, just to be on the safe side.

Don't forget to get travel insurance. It could come in very handy if you experience flight cancellations or delays due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.

I agree with Lisa. Pay the change fee and then you can relax and not have to worry about rushing or delays.

Have a great cruise!

Nadine
Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 PM

When you leave from Toronto you go thru U.S. immigration in Toronto before you leave and not upon arrival. So there will be immigration concerns. However I would never fly down the same day. We always go down one or two days before the departure date. This is way too close for comfort. Change your tickets and go down the day before.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:14 AM

Exclamation Speaking from experience,,,CHANGE FLIGHT
and pay the fee,,,know its HARD,but having ALMOST missed a cruise due to airline problems.<
Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 AM
I would call the airline & ask to change to the day before
You can book direct with the airlines ..same prices

You do realize that it is winter in Dec & flights are delayed or canceled due to weather
Hope you bought trip Cancelation/ interuption insurance
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 10-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Not meaning to pile on, but December 22 is also the Saturday on the last weekend before Christmas. This means crowded airports, very likely flight delays, and all the other holiday air travel hassles.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Thank you for the clarification, wooddon.

ironmask, please let us know how the flight rebooking turns out. As many of us have mentioned, there are many reasons for changing your flight times. I'm glad you asked for our advice on this one while there's still time to change it.

Tags
1256pm, 130pm, 400, 430, carribean, check, cruise, day, departs, flight, flying, leaves, pm, port, royal, time