Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Southwest begins flights to San Juan in April 2013 (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/38552-southwest-begins-flights-san-juan-april-2013-a.html)

poormom 11-03-2012 06:28 PM

Southwest begins flights to San Juan in April 2013

I hope this is good news for some of us. I've never cruised from PR, but would love to as it opens up so many itineraries in the southern caribbean.
Hopefully it will make the fares a little more competitive.

peter l 11-04-2012 07:58 AM

I'm excited as well Marsha as with the buy out of Air Tran, we can now fly out of Portland
on Southwest with connection options as well beginning in mid April. Hopefully this will make the other airlines here more competitive !

Peterl

Cruise Fanatic 11-04-2012 09:24 AM

I never fly Southwest out of Nashville. They aren't competitive in our area because they own 50% of the flights out of the Nashville airport. Often, they are actually higher when I do a comparison. In this area I think they actually are keeping the prices higher because of their dominance. So in other areas it will depend on how much percentage of the flight routes they control.

Jim C. 11-05-2012 08:05 AM

I think their fares are higher, but since they don't charge for the first 2 bags, then you have to consider that. Many times that would make the price on par with other airlines. My issues is that until they drop the Wright Amendment, SW can not fly interstate from Dallas without stopping in a neighboring state, making all flights at least 1 stop. If I am going to pay the same price, I will take the more convenient non stop flight. However, I don't know if the San Juan flight falls under the same rules or not.

Cruise Fanatic 11-05-2012 08:51 AM

I've never understood the sense in that Wright Agreement either Jim.

I already have my flight for my cruise in January but I did a comparison today between Delta and Southwest for my dates of January 9-14th. Southwest was about $382.90 and a comparative flight on Delta was $319.20. A $63.70 per person difference x 2 people = $127.40 total. I don't have to pay for luggage on Delta, but even if I paid $25 a bag for 2 bags ($50), I'd still be making out better on Delta. I can pack everything in a carry-on anyway. Also, I can pick my own seats with Delta. I've never liked the idea with Southwest of no seats and being put in A, B, or C, group for boarding. Of course you can get online early and print your boarding pass and hope to get in group A, or you can pay $10 for that privilege to be guaranteed Group A.

Bottom line is Southwest may or may not be a better deal depending what area you live. Do your comparisons. Just because a carrier calls themselves low cost, doesn't mean they are the lowest. Spirit Airlines is a good example, they say they are low cost, but charge for everything.

f-mattox 11-06-2012 12:51 AM

I had a similar experience when shopping for air between Orange County, CA and Ft. Lauderdale. Delta was just under $100 less than Southwest pp/rt. And even though we had to pay for one bag each we still came out ahead; and Delta had many more flight choices and shorter layover times.

Jim C. 11-08-2012 06:47 AM

Agreed that they are normally more expensive if you don't have to check backs. Without that savings they do always seem to be more expensive. I have been assuming that it was just flights from Dallas because they are basically 2 flights, but from what you two are saying it looks like its that way across the board.

However, I can say that my sister and her family got cheaper flights to Ft Lauderdale from Chicago than on any other airline for our cruise next week. Of course she booked as SOON as those flights opened up for sale. I doubt the cheaper seats lasted long.

f-mattox 11-08-2012 10:47 AM

In all fairness to Southwest, they usually have the best prices on the busy routes out here in the West: Orange County, San Francisco, Sacramento, Las Vegas, etc.