Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 PM

Default Cell Service on Embarkation Day
Hi everyone.

I'm not sure what thread to post this in, but this seems like the most appropriate one to me. Does anyone know if most cell service on embarkation day (still tied up alongside the pier) is taken from the local area, or the ship's satellite system? The reason I ask this is because I was looking to text a few people once I got onboard, then once we set sail, turn my phone off and put it in the safe in my room.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM

I think it would be still using the cell from the local area until you reach a certain area out to sea. We always text even from way out in the ocean and the cost is almost nothing. We leave our phone on all the time in case our family need to contact us. I always sit on the balcony and text my son and daughter every day. Its cheaper than trying to use the ship internet.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:40 AM
I always make calls when we are still in port, your fine. I am wondering for you however you will be in Alaska and near land all the time seems like you would be able to call anytime on your cell with no extra charge. I would call your carrier, Wooddon would you let me know how it works for Alaska please. it would be helpful for us, looking to go next year.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Administrator

As long as you see "AT&T", "Verizon", or whatever carrier you use on your screen by your signal bars you are using your personal plan, whether at the pier or underway. If the screen says "Cellular At Sea" or some other unrecognizable name or number (usually in a XX-XXX format) you are roaming.

The other week while on Oasis my son had a good AT&T signal up to about an hour after we left Port Everglades before his phone dropped it and switched to the Cellular At Sea signal.

If you use AT&T they have some plans you can buy specifically for Royal Caribbean, which give you X talk, X texts, and/or X amount of data. These kick in when using the ship's signal.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:42 PM

Dave comments are right on. We are on Rogers and once we get outside of Canada we switch over to AT&T as Rogers is part ownership with this company. Just make sure you turn Data off, or your bill will be very high. The year we went to Alaska we were able to get the line signal all the way up. We buy a special plan before leaving which give us more coverage.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks everyone. I have Verizon, and a smartphone (iPhone 5, to be specific), so I'll be sure once we leave to either turn the data feature off or turn it off completely.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 06-23-2013, 05:01 AM
[quote=Dave; If you use AT&T they have some plans you can buy specifically for Royal Caribbean, which give you X talk, X texts, and/or X amount of data. These kick in when using the ship's signal.[/QUOTE]

Dave,
Can you clarify this, are you saying that AT&T has a plan for RCCL that you can use while at sea?

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Yes, AT&T has three plans. $30 for 50 talk minutes. $60 for 50 talk minutes and 100 texts. $120 for the 50 minutes, 100 texts, and 100mb of data (maybe that is 300 mb, I forget).

You have to call to get it and it runs for 30 days. It also works in the ports on the local networks. It starts whenever you are on the Cellular At Sea on the ship.

Not cheap but cheaper than not having it and using the same amount of time. It works on Celebrity and Azamara too.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Here is the info for the AT&T cruise plans.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Very good to know, as many times as I have call and added an Intrenational package for when I would be in Ports no agent every even mention these packages. I just bought 50 text for $10 to use in Bermuda and found out too late that if my Husband was texting and sending it thru I message I would not get them. Never could get any of his text because of the way he was sending it to me. Live and Learn I use ATT&T.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Tags
2013, alaska, att, carribean, cellular, embarkation, freedom, golden, iphone, jersey, princess, reviews, royal, sea, seas, work