Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 08:50 PM

For all you experienced cruisers out there...I need some advice! We want to cruise the canal. What are your suggestions for the best overall line for Panama, and also, what are your feelings on the "halfway and out again" cruises?
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2005, 08:50 PM

For all you experienced cruisers out there...I need some advice! We want to cruise the canal. What are your suggestions for the best overall line for Panama, and also, what are your feelings on the "halfway and out again" cruises?
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:36 AM

Janice, welcome to cruise-chat. I have only been on two PC cruises, so I can't really recommend the best cruise line for the experience. But, I can share my thoughts on the halfway in or all the way through the canal choices. My personal choice would be to do the "halfway and out again" cruise. Going through the locks is a long and arduous process. Although it is fascinating and interesting the first time, after that it loses some of its thrill. After you have gone through the 3 locks that comprise the Gatun lock set, spend a few hours in Gatun Lake and then turn around and go through the same system, you have had the experience. Spending an entire day going through this process numerous times just seems to be a bit redundant to me. Besides, being a round trip cruise, it is usually much easier and cheaper to make your air arrangements. Of course, this is just my opinion.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 AM

I would agree with Nancy. While interesting the first time, I would prefer the shorter version to a full transit. Most of the full transits are repositioning cruises coming from (or going to) Alaska and offer so-so itineraries before and after the transit. They can be bargains, however.

As for which ship, which line? They all do about the same process, so as far as the locks are concerned, it really doesn't matter. I would look at the itinerary first and then the ship. There is a lot to see in that part of the Caribbean. Puerto Limon is wonderful, the San Blas Islands are fascinating and the other ports normally found on these itineraries are excellent, as well.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 PM

Hi Janice,

I have done many Panama Canal cruises all with Princess. My friends tease me every time I book another transit. No matter how many times I go, I am still amazed with the locks.
The repositioning cruises are my favorites, as they are longer & often a deal. I too would agree with Tom that San Blas Islands are a must see.
Of course now they are allowing tours in Panama that are quite interesting too.
Good Luck with your decision & Enjoy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Closed Thread

Tags
canal, cruise, cruises, excursion, half, halfway, locks, panama