Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2004, 02:04 PM
I was wondering what peoples opinions are, regarding some cruiselines permitting their female guests to sunbath topless.

I discovered that Carnival Cruiselines is allowing female guest to do so on some of their Carnival ships: on the top-deck (above the pool deck), under certain restrictions:
-No one under 18
-Area is screened-off
-No waiter service (one would have to travel downstairs to the bar by the pool[wearing a top, of course] in order to get a drink).

I read Royal Carribean's policy, and it states it will only allow female topless sunbathing only on European Intineraries.

So, I was wondering what everyone thinks about this? Is it much to do about nothing? Are American's way too uptight and/or prudish regarding this? WOuld it matter much to you all, either way?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:04 PM
I was wondering what peoples opinions are, regarding some cruiselines permitting their female guests to sunbath topless.

I discovered that Carnival Cruiselines is allowing female guest to do so on some of their Carnival ships: on the top-deck (above the pool deck), under certain restrictions:
-No one under 18
-Area is screened-off
-No waiter service (one would have to travel downstairs to the bar by the pool[wearing a top, of course] in order to get a drink).

I read Royal Carribean's policy, and it states it will only allow female topless sunbathing only on European Intineraries.

So, I was wondering what everyone thinks about this? Is it much to do about nothing? Are American's way too uptight and/or prudish regarding this? WOuld it matter much to you all, either way?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:39 PM

Amazing how a family cruise line allows it...On the Conquest, on the sign it also does not allow the taking of photos. On Mercury, no restrictions. On Grandeur of the Seas, on the crew deck up front, nude sunbathing is allowed. Whats fun is to sit at the bottom of the entrances, and watch those who are timid about going up those long, lond stairs, thinking about all who are watching. But coming down, they sneak looks down to see if it is clear! I find it an enjoyable place to read, relax, no bother with children....
Dvid Landry
Old 12-27-2004, 05:06 PM

I think it is done quite tastefully on most ships and ladies should have the option if they desire. I don't see it as any big deal.

Tom
Old 12-27-2004, 08:12 PM

I agree with Tom Ogg. Itís no big deal if itís done tastefully. While I believe that some people might be offended or embarrassed, they would also leave after instantly recognizing that that was not the place at which they had meant to be.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:38 AM

Frase,

here in Europe it is certainly not a big deal at all. And hardly anybody sees the need to "protect children" (from what?) or something similar when it comes to nude sunbathing.

It's probably a matter of mentatily or upbringing. It isn't that one perspective is "good" and the other one is "bad". There are many aspects where Europeans don't understand why Americans do things the way they do and vice versa. But to me that's not a problem but just normal. People are different, and it would be boring if all people were the same.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 12-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Banned

I agree with Tom it is done tastefuly. We were on the Paradise a couple years back ,and the way it was chained off at the stair way leading up to that deck it would be someones own fault if they got up there and were offended.I think that it is fine for those who want to do it, and those that don't need not partake.
Tom
Old 12-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Banned

The problem I have with the topless area is that all the female dancers and other female employees are up sun bathing and take up all the lounge chairs. That leaves us with no place to sit and relax to enjoy the scenery.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

Rigid
I don't know what ship you were on, but I wouldn't mind standing for the duration of that show.
Tom
Old 01-02-2005, 07:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Landry:
Amazing how a family cruise line allows it...On the Conquest, on the sign it also does not allow the taking of photos. On Mercury, no restrictions. On Grandeur of the Seas, on the crew deck up front, nude sunbathing is allowed. Whats fun is to sit at the bottom of the entrances, and watch those who are timid about going up those long, lond stairs, thinking about all who are watching. But coming down, they sneak looks down to see if it is clear! I find it an enjoyable place to read, relax, no bother with children....
Dvid Landry

Hi David,

I hadn't realized that some cruises provide space for nude sunbathing. Is this very common? Are there other ships that allow this other than the 1 that you mentioned?

Closed Thread

Tags
bathing, carnival, conquest, crew, cruise, cruises, deck, european, nude, photo, photos, ship, sun, sunbathe, sunbathing, top, topless