Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2016, 01:52 PM

Default Why did you decide to change to another cruise line?
I have cruised with Carnival for 2 cruises, and we planning our next one this summer with Royal.

I am brand loyal, but I also like to try different things so I can have a bigger picture of what I really like.

My friends and I were having a conversation at work about our preferred cruise line. For those more experienced cruisers, what and/or how did you branch out from your first cruise line and why? I have had nothing but positive experiences with Carnival, and hesitant to stray from what I know. Your wisdom and experience is appreciated!
Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Mine was easy. The first cruise in 1992 was on Holland America and I was 36 years old on a ship that was mostly filled with retired people - that was then and the demographic for HAL at the time. So we booked Royal Caribbean for a cruise six months later and we liked it much better. So I stayed with RCI for while, did a couple other cruises on Norwegian, Celebrity, Princess, and then, after 11 years of cruising I finally tried Carnival and liked it a lot. Now days I tend to split my cruise time between Royal Caribbean and Carnival. They are more similar than they are different and you'll feel at home on Royal Caribbean.

Royal spends a lot more money than most lines on entertainment. Personally, although I am a Diamond Plus loyalty member with Royal, I think Carnival has better food choices - and most are included in the cruise price while Royal, NCL, and the others are really into upcharges.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:07 PM
I can understand why people become brand loyal....they enjoy a particular cruise line & as they cruise more they get rewarded for their loyalty. However I think that when you start cruising it is useful to try 4 or 5 cruise lines before you decide on a brand you find yourself more comfortable with. You might find that the line you thought was really good is really the best of all of them or you might find that the last cruise line you tried was really the one you want to keep cruising with.
Of course price has quite an important role but don't forget that some cruise lines have an itinerary or port of call that other cruise lines don't do. So whilst you are new to cruising I would suggest you try a few different lines and enjoy the different experiences & remember that there is also a difference cruising on really large ships to that of cruising on the smaller more intimate ones.
Speaking for myself...at the moment I am not brand loyal ...I have cruised on Carnival, RCI, Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity & a few others but have not yet cruised with Holland America. For me it is more about price & itinerary rather than sticking to a particular cruise line but as I said earlier many people are content with staying with one line.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:51 AM
For us, a lot of our decisions of what cruise line to take is based on where we want to go and the cost. We've sailed Carnival a lot because it's usually the most affordable but prefer RCI. Like Dave, my first HAL cruise I felt like the crowd was too old and didn't return for awhile. Ten years later we took another HAL cruise because we wanted better service and food quality and absolutely loved it. I think cruise ships are a lot like any franchise - it all comes down to the management and staff and how they operate within their company. Some day we hope to sail on some of the pricier lines like Celebrity but for now we do what's in our budget - just love to cruise!!!

Need some cruise help?
Old 06-14-2016, 06:41 PM

My first few cruises were with Royal Caribbean, but my latest one to Alaska was on Princess, because that itinerary worked for me. Royal Caribbean to Alaska leaves on a weekday out of Seattle, but I needed a weekend departure, so I could only take 1 week off of work. Princess I think was the most affordable, and they've had good reviews of their Alaska cruises, which I loved!
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 09-21-2016, 10:59 PM

I don't have any experience in cruising and I am brand new here. But I am sure there will be special care and loyalty if we are a regular cruiser. So I decided to get on the same cruise line until I get fed up. This is my first cruising to the Beaufort, I planned to go there in Blount Ships (https://www.blountsmallshipadventures.com). Had anyone here had a sail with Blount? Any suggestions? I would like to hear about the Blount small ships adventures so that I can change the cruise line in the case of any negative feedbacks. I would like to be a regular cruiser for the cruise line for long. So help me, please. But I am not clear about why do you want to change the cruise line?
Old 09-22-2016, 06:05 AM
Administrator

I have not sailed on Blount, but you should note it is not at all like a classic cruise ship experience. Read the following article by Paul Motter: http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...res-130903.cfm
Old 10-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezJohn View Post
I don't have any experience in cruising and I am brand new here. But I am sure there will be special care and loyalty if we are a regular cruiser. So I decided to get on the same cruise line until I get fed up. This is my first cruising to the Beaufort, I planned to go there in Blount Ships (https://www.blountsmallshipadventures.com). Had anyone here had a sail with Blount? Any suggestions? I would like to hear about the Blount small ships adventures so that I can change the cruise line in the case of any negative feedbacks. I would like to be a regular cruiser for the cruise line for long. So help me, please. But I am not clear about why do you want to change the cruise line?
if you like camping then you will love Blount
If the ships are in the river you might be fine but if it going in the ocean hang on & take seasick meds
We went from NYC to Martha's vineyrad rocked & rolled all night ..did not sleep much
take a cabin on the top deck & bring ear plugs if on the middle deck
The only good thing I can say was the food was very good served family style
if you have a problem forget about compaining they just blow you off
some people like them I am not one of them

no locks on the doors when you leave the cabin, no safes, camp cots for beds, very small cabins
wonder why they do not have photos on their website of the cabins
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012