Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   New to crusies (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/4088-new-crusies.html)

andi0202 01-25-2005 07:24 AM

My husband and I are considering taking a Eastern Med cruise in late April early May. The ship that we are considering is the Costa Tropicale (it's the only one we can find with the destinations that we are interested in). However, I have not been able to find any information about the stability rating (some ships offer that information). She ship was built in 1982 but has recently been completely remodeled. I was under the impression that all cruise ships had stabilizers.

My husband is worried that he will be sick the entire trip. Could someone with some cruise expereince please provide me with information about this. Or if someone has been on the Costa Tropicale could you please share your experience?

Thank you,
Andrea

andi0202 01-25-2005 07:24 AM

My husband and I are considering taking a Eastern Med cruise in late April early May. The ship that we are considering is the Costa Tropicale (it's the only one we can find with the destinations that we are interested in). However, I have not been able to find any information about the stability rating (some ships offer that information). She ship was built in 1982 but has recently been completely remodeled. I was under the impression that all cruise ships had stabilizers.

My husband is worried that he will be sick the entire trip. Could someone with some cruise expereince please provide me with information about this. Or if someone has been on the Costa Tropicale could you please share your experience?

Thank you,
Andrea

NancyN 01-25-2005 08:14 AM

Your husband should have nothing to worry about. When the Costa Tropicale underwent its extensive rebuild in 2001 it was refitted with a completely new propulsion system. Denny Brown stabilizers were installed and are quite effective (They are the same kind as those used on the QE2 - which was designed for transatlantic crossings).

Hope that eases his mind a bit -
Nancy

Oggy Boy 01-25-2005 03:28 PM

While I haven't cruise the Tropicale since Costa took it over, I did cruise here a couple of times many years ago. I understand that Costa did a wonderful job on the refit and she is quite stunning.

The one thing I remember clearly, is that she always feels crowded, especially on sea days. There is limited open deck space so people tend to crowd around the pool area (both the aft and the main). There is not a Promenade deck or sun deck that encircles the ship where one can either walk or jog either.

If the itnerary is port intensive, you should be fine. But, if there are a number of sea days, it might be another story. Hope that helps.

Tom