Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 12:38 PM
My wife and I often joke about how we're going to work at the inprocessing area of a cruise line when we retire so we can get a discount on cruises. We were shocked on one cruise to find a passenger we sat next to in a trivia game on the ship ended up loading one of the buses as an employee of the line as we were getting off. All joking aside, does anyone know how much of a discount is available for employees?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:54 PM

It's pretty significant. I had one CD tell me he could bring his wife for $50. I'm not sure if it includes all family members, either. It might just be immediate family. I'd love to get those benefits, too.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Many years ago in my other life we did a HAL cruise for $65. pp p/d
I would think it would be about the same but depends on the cruise line
Some regular fares are much better than the interline rates

Do a search for INTERLINE RATES should give you some idea of what you need to qualify
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 PM

I've often thought the same thing about working at a Port Terminal if and when I get to retire. The discounts are pretty good especially if you can cruise on short notice. They offer the unsold cabins at close to sailing dates to employees at drastically reduced rates. The Interline Rates that Lyn mentioned are also a way to book earlier than last minute for reduced rates. Makes Cocoa Beach look like a great place to retire.

Dwayne
Old 06-09-2010, 06:25 AM
Just to clarify you MUST meet one of these requirement to get interline discounts
This from one of the Interline websites
* Airline Employees
* Retired Airline Employees
* Spouses and Dependents of Airline Employees
* Parents and In-laws of Airline Employees
* Major Courier/Cargo Companies Employees
* Military Employees
* Air Traffic Controllers
* FAA, MATCA, NPA, IATA, ALPA, SITA and ARC

Cruise Line Employees

* Active Cruise Line Employee
* Spouse or friend, traveling in the same cabin, of Active Cruise Line Employee
* Spouse of Active Cruise Line Employee
* Dependent children traveling with Active Cruise Line Employee
* Parents of Active Cruise Line Employee
* Retired Cruise Line Employee

* EXCEPTIONS *
* Royal Caribbean Celebrity Interline rates are not available to employees of RCI/Celebrity.
* Carnival Cruise Line rates are not available to employees of Carnival Cruise Lines.

Friends and Family

* Your friends and family qualify for the vacation.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 PM
When I was sailing I could "comp" my friends and family for a reasonable discount. If my immediate family stayed in my cabin, I would only pay a small weekly fee (don't remember exactly how much). If they required a separate cabin the fee was slightly higher, and then one also had to see if any cabins were available.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Svein, was that only for Officers or all crew?

Lyn, I didn't know Carnival had changed the employee policy. When I was told (by them) they offered them to the employees it was a while back.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
Svein, was that only for Officers or all crew?

Lyn, I didn't know Carnival had changed the employee policy. When I was told (by them) they offered them to the employees it was a while back.
It could be the rates listed on that particular interline site that are not available other sites may differ.

I cannot imagine the regular crew sharing their cabin with friends & family with their room mates

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 06-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I cannot imagine the regular crew sharing their cabin with friends & family with their room mates Big Grin
While I don't think there is such a thing as a dumb question, I guess mine was pretty close. I'll blame it on being out of practice asking questions and exhaustion from not sleeping much for 36 hours.

Dwayne
Old 06-11-2010, 12:50 AM

There are fewer deals for family and retirees of some of the cruise lines in the UK now. We have friends who retired from a P&O company, and they no longer get the very generous discount offers. I've noticed that the on-line booking companies have very good prices for cruises that sail within the week. I suspect that the cruise lines have adopted demand pricing like the airlines.

We sailed with a chap who was a retired executive of a P&O company on a cruise from San Francisco to Southampton on Sea Princess back in 1995, and he complained that although his cruise was free, he had to pay his own airfare. That didn't endear him to those of us who had paid full whack.

Regards,

Bill

Closed Thread

Tags
amount, annd, carnival, cruise, cruises, discount, discounts, employee, employees, family, friends, line, lines, princess, rate, ship, workers