Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 AM

I am planning on going on a cruise somewhere around mexico/carribean (warm) with 5 or 6 close friends. Being only 18 and 19 i am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in regards to laid back, younger crowd cruise lines that allow 18 year olds to drink.
Thank you for any advice!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM

Hi jws.cruise, welcome to Cruise-Chat. There are no lines that I am aware of that allow anyone under 25 to travel alone. There are no lines that allow underage drinking. We hope you will be able to enjoy a cruise, but you will have to have someone 25 or over in each room. Best wishes.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Penny is mostly correct. One exception that always sneaks in under the radar (I had forgotten about them too) is NCL. They will allow 18 year olds to drink beer and wine, but only in certain cases and with permission of an "accompanying" parent or guardian who is at least 21 years old. In the case of the guardian, a permission form needs to be completed by the parents.

So, in a nutshell...

You need at least a couple of 21 year old designated guardians going with you since you have to be in a cabin or adjoining cabin with someone who is 21 or older. With the exception of Hawaii and Alaska cruises you can drink once in international waters provided your guardians have gone to guest relations on the ship and approved you for alcohol.

Even without the alcohol consent, you still need permission slips from parents just to go on the cruise.

For Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and the other mainstream lines, you have to be 21 to drink and the accompanying guardians have to be 25.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM

Thanks, Dave, I didn't want to give out erroneous information.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Administrator

I've forgotten about NCL too in the past, and told people the 25 yr old thing. But this morning I managed to remember NCL. RCI used to allow the same policy for booze and those under 21, but they dropped the waiver policy a couple years ago and went strictly with 21 on all U.S. cruises. They do still allow those 18 and up to drink on cruises in South America and Europe with a waiver.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, forum, ideas, planning