Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Administrator

When my ship would stop at Napoli, I would turn to the right after leaving the port and walk down a ways to where it was easier to run across the street because traffic was easier to dodge. It is insane. Groups of us would gather with lookouts who'd say "run!" when a break in the traffic appeared.

The rookies dared to cross directly in front of the port, near the castle.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Cozumel has some wild taxi driving. The unlicensed and most likely uninsured taxis on St.Thomas are called Gypsy taxis. I stayed on the island several days once. The desk clerk being very nice asked one of the housekeepers to give me a ride to the grocery store as she was getting off work. A nice lady from Nevis. So when she dropped me off at the grocery store I asked her how to call for a taxi back to the hotel. She said not to call a taxi and pay double and to follow her to the Gypsy taxis. So I follow her over to a row of cars parked at the entrance.

She takes me to this lady with a corolla and tells her "Dis man is going shopping and then needs to go back to the hotel". The Gypsy taxi lady proceeds to follow me in the store and push my cart for me. I'm thinking how weird this is. Anyway, I finish shopping while getting an education about why things cost so much there. Well, they didn't have my Skoal at the grocery store, so the Gypsy taxi lady says she knows where has it. I literally had to use hand signs to describe what I was talking about. No problem she says, and she takes me all the way over to the tobacco store at Havensight. Mind you my hotel is near the airport. We then stop at KFC for a bucket and wait 20 minutes.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have enough cash on me to pay this lady for all this. We get back to the hotel and I ask how much do I owe you? She says $12. I'm thinking at least $30. I give her a $20 and tell her to keep it with my thanks. She asks where I need to go tomorrow. I say Red Hook at 9AM, she says she'll be out front waiting for me.

I don't recommend using unlicensed or Gypsy taxis. This lady was so nice to me though I couldn't help but contribute to her income during my stay. Another true story from the Island Archives.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
I was amazed by the traffic in Georgetown, Grand Cayman. Let's just say, (based on first hand eye-witness expierience) the bus and van drivers in Grand Cayman can never be accused of a lack of confidence in their driving abilities.

When I got off the tender at the dock in Georgetown, I was walking down the road. When all of a sudden, a van bus comes from behind goes streaking by me. The tips of my fingers on my arm closest to it, almost touched it
Old 08-08-2010, 10:08 PM

I took a 50 cent bus ride in Puerto Vallarta and found it to be one of the most exciting excursions I've been on.

Sonny
Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM

San Juan and Paris are two of my favorite exciting places to walk/drive.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:37 AM

Island driving is by far my No. 1 concern when cruising. I've sent a few emails to the cruise lines to try to find out what they do to secure safe drivers for the excursion they offer but I've never received a response. It's too bad that an otherwise anticipated day of excitement is tempered by the fact that you know the drive to your destination and back is going to make you quite nervous.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Years ago when staying in Venezula we took a cab from our hotel into the city. The cab driver informed us that stop signs were only there to show who was at fault when an accident happened in the intersection.
Of course I live in an area where the highway was notorious for bad accidents on summer weekends, simply because of the volume of impatient city drivers coming to the cottage for the weekend. When my mom used to travel, everytime there was an airplace crash, people would ask why she wasn't afraid to fly. She always replied she was more likely to die in traffic on the way to/from the airport.

Need some cruise help?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Jill

You bring up a good point regarding if you're more likely to die in a crash in the air or on the ground. Your mom is right, though I think, and stats may prove that. This is something many of us may not realize, but we're safer in the air than on the ground.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 09-04-2010, 02:10 PM

The most likely cause of death on a cruise would have to be from overeating .
You embark as a passenger and are offloaded as cargo.
A cruise broadens both the mind and the bottom line.

Read and post cruise reviews

2006 - Orient Lines Marco Polo - Western Med. Venice - Barcelona
2008 - Celebrity Lines - Century - Baltic
2010 RCL - Rhapsody of the Seas Sydney - Honolulu
Old 09-04-2010, 02:34 PM

Possibly under tipping ?

2006 - Orient Lines Marco Polo - Western Med. Venice - Barcelona
2008 - Celebrity Lines - Century - Baltic
2010 RCL - Rhapsody of the Seas Sydney - Honolulu