Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   What to Pack (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/447-what-pack.html)

MCPayne 05-03-2009 08:10 PM

Hey everyone.

Just thought I would share what to pack for cruises and some guidelines. You can try to "mix and match" outfits, so it is not necessary to pack different outfits for each day and night of the cruise.

Example, for my 5 night cruise in September, I may only bring 2 pairs of shorts and 2 t-shirts for wear during the day, and just mix and match, and 2 pairs of khakis, 2 button down shirts for evening wear on the non formal nights, slacks, a nice button down, and a sport coat for the formal night.

Depending upon where you go, you may or may not need bathing suits, sunblock, sunglasses, and/or a hat. Also, you definitely want to bring a camera (photo or video), although it's a bit of a hassle for video cameras through airport security, as they have to come out of their cases.

queenofcruzin 05-05-2009 03:20 PM

OH Mr Payne, your theory is right on....but then there are some of us women, and it doesn't go that smoothly, the outfits aren't as bad, as my girl stuff, shameful sometimes. My Mother is much better, lower maintenance, but I love the getting ready area in a cabin, big or small, and I love to dress for dinner each night. The airlines are trying to cramp my style...which begs another topic. Luggage.

Cruisegirlsa 05-06-2009 09:24 AM

Ok do you have a wife/girlfriend?? I don't know any woman that will pack so little, almost too much!! But I certainly wish I could pack like that because it is a nightmare for me! The joy of being a man.

penny3333 05-06-2009 11:33 AM

It's reversed in our group. I'm the one that packs light and HE's the one that has 4-5 suitcases. For a 7-10 day, I have one suitcase. For a 14+day, it's one suitcase and a small carry-on.

peter l 05-06-2009 11:59 AM

I know it does depend on the person: I did bring to much on our cruise AGAIN in April and did take a hard look at what I did not wear in hopes of learning something. But, the tropical weather does a number on me and I can't get by without one shirt during the day and the same for each evening. I did find AGAIN that I had about three to many shorts. But, we did get buy with one large (approx 37 lb total) and the small carryons. I'd rather have more than less and not worry. Got to carry them (2 each) anyway, may have more than less. So long as there is room for purchases !

Peterl

penny3333 05-07-2009 07:59 AM

I love (not) trying to pack purchases. Thankfully, we usually drive to the port now. Makes it much easier to load. It's amazing how much more you come home with than when you leave.

peter l 05-09-2009 05:26 AM

Penny, living too close to a port would not be a good thing for me as I would always want to sail away being that air fare would be left out of the equation. Lucky you?

Peterl

Dwayne 05-09-2009 11:47 AM

I always end up packing too much. I do have to have plenty of shirts though because of the heat. I can get by with just a few pairs of shorts. Then you have the clothes to wear in the evening to contend with.

Dwayne

Jim C. 05-09-2009 01:47 PM

Peter I - You would have to live in South Florida to hvae that work for you. We live close enough to Galveston to be able to drive to the ship, but I have noticed that the cruises are priced higher than the Florida ones (supply and demand I guess) and that normally offsets the airfare... Although there has been some good deals lately even out of Galveston.

gtlovell 05-10-2009 08:25 PM

After being on a few cruises I still pack TOO many clothes! http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

<Edit: Links to sites with advertising/travel booking engine deleted per Forum Rules -LP >