Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 04:22 PM

hi there~
i think i found the right place to narrow down my cruise choices. we are a family with two small kids, we know we want to go to mexico in nov/dec 2005. i am leaning more to the luxury/premium side of things (champagne taste you know). not too expensive, but we do have some $$$ to work with. we are really not into the party scene as we are in the 35-45 young age range, and will possibly be bringing along my mother. i have been pondering ncl, royal caribbean, celebrity, holland etc, but i am so confused by all the amenties, and differences.
please advise~~~~
firefighterwife
Old 11-21-2004, 04:22 PM

hi there~
i think i found the right place to narrow down my cruise choices. we are a family with two small kids, we know we want to go to mexico in nov/dec 2005. i am leaning more to the luxury/premium side of things (champagne taste you know). not too expensive, but we do have some $$$ to work with. we are really not into the party scene as we are in the 35-45 young age range, and will possibly be bringing along my mother. i have been pondering ncl, royal caribbean, celebrity, holland etc, but i am so confused by all the amenties, and differences.
please advise~~~~
firefighterwife
Old 11-21-2004, 04:48 PM

Well, if you are looking at premium lines and have champagne taste then I would narrow the search to Celebrity and Holland and eliminate NCL and Royal Caribbean of the choices you mentioned. Between Celebrity and Holland America, based on your age I would go with Celebrity. HAL appeals to an older clientele. the best children's program afloat is Royal Caribbean, but again between Celebrity and HAL -go with Celebrity. Hope this helps. I would be happy to provide additional information - just ask. (By the way, I am a firefighters mother-in-law).
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-21-2004, 05:24 PM

thanks nancy~i guess i shouldn't really say champagne taste. i am open to anything, i was just trying to stay away from the party scene, and really just want something beautiful, but not too stuffy. do you think i should consider royal, ncl, or princess???? thanks again~
firefighterwife
Old 11-21-2004, 07:10 PM

Okay - based on your new "standards", I would definitely recommend Royal Caribbean. They have a great nightlife (but not a crazy party scene), the age range is perfect and the children's program is exemplary. How old are the children?
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-21-2004, 07:33 PM

thanks!!
i just checked into it~is it normal to visit only 3-4 ports on a 7-8 day cruise?
the children
will be 4 1/2 and 2. i know i am crazy! so the r.c. ships are very beautiful????
cheers!!
firefighterwife
Old 11-22-2004, 09:55 AM

Actually 3 or 4 ports on a 7 day cruise is just about right! The sea days can be the best part of the trip (even with two little ones in tow). It will probably be difficult to tear your 4 1/2 yr. old away from the children's facilities and extensive program. My daughter absolutely loved cruising from the early age of 4.

Yes, the Royal Caribbean ships are beautiful (at least in my opinion).
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-22-2004, 10:11 AM

wow~~~thanks!
what do you think of ncl or princess?
also the mex rivera cruise on royal is on the vion of the seas. i don't think that is "voyager class" is it? does it matter?
thanks again!!!
lisa
Old 11-22-2004, 11:05 AM

You're right, Vision of the Seas is not Voyager class, but it is still a beautiful ship. For a first-time cruiser it should work well, and your mother may find a good number of folks her age; I was on the same ship (similar itinerary) last Feb. and the age range was quite broad, with more older folks than I expected. If you had teens with you, I would suggest the Voyager class, but small children and your mom along, Vision should work out quite well.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:58 AM

Lisa,
The NCL Star, the Diamond Princess and the Vision would be your choices. I would still lean toward the Vision for overall value and total product. The Diamond would be my second choice, as it too is a beautiful ship, but the children's program is not as good.
The NCL Star, although it is a very nice ship, it is not of the caliber of the other two. I actually took the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Vision in February and have a mega-review posted on our CruiseReviews site that might provide further insight. I was also on the Star this August. Although it was on an Alaska cruise, the review provides details of the ship and my experience aboard. Here are the links to both reviews - hope they help:

http://www.cruisereviews.com/RoyalCa...ftheSeas34.htm

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...gianStar39.htm

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, party, royal, scene