Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Virus, illness, Dilemma (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/4561-virus-illness-dilemma.html)

RIDGID 01-10-2005 08:51 AM

There has been another stomach virus on a cruise ship. It was traced back to a passenger. I am not making this post as an announcement about that. I am just wondering about a few issues.

Here is a senario. I have been planning a long time for a cruise. I am really looking forward to it. I have been reading, and studying all the forums. A few days before or even that night I start to feel bad. It may be from too much drinking, a cold, overeating, etc. I don't know. I get up early in the morning and get to the airport. I am tired and maybe that is why I don't feel good. At the terminal I have to sign a paper that says I did not have diarrhea. Maybe I did or maybe I didn't.

My question is if I sign that I had diarrhea what happens? Do I get a full refund? What if I did not have insurance? What about my travel companion? What if I got up in the morning and cannot get off the pot. If I call the cruise line will they believe me and refund my money? I think most people will travel as planned and feel that they will get better (I know that none of us on this forum would ever do anything like that http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo.../icon_wink.gif). What happens if I sign that paper and do not tell the truth? How can they tell if I was or wasn't at that time? While on board if I get sick what does travel insurance cover?

We all know that people go to work every day being sick. They also send their kids to school sick because there is no other place for them if they don't go.

People get on planes being sick. On our last trip the girl next to me asked for a vomit bag as soon as she sat down. This did not make me feel very comfortable. Planes do not have the healthiest environments.

RIDGID 01-10-2005 08:51 AM

There has been another stomach virus on a cruise ship. It was traced back to a passenger. I am not making this post as an announcement about that. I am just wondering about a few issues.

Here is a senario. I have been planning a long time for a cruise. I am really looking forward to it. I have been reading, and studying all the forums. A few days before or even that night I start to feel bad. It may be from too much drinking, a cold, overeating, etc. I don't know. I get up early in the morning and get to the airport. I am tired and maybe that is why I don't feel good. At the terminal I have to sign a paper that says I did not have diarrhea. Maybe I did or maybe I didn't.

My question is if I sign that I had diarrhea what happens? Do I get a full refund? What if I did not have insurance? What about my travel companion? What if I got up in the morning and cannot get off the pot. If I call the cruise line will they believe me and refund my money? I think most people will travel as planned and feel that they will get better (I know that none of us on this forum would ever do anything like that http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo.../icon_wink.gif). What happens if I sign that paper and do not tell the truth? How can they tell if I was or wasn't at that time? While on board if I get sick what does travel insurance cover?

We all know that people go to work every day being sick. They also send their kids to school sick because there is no other place for them if they don't go.

People get on planes being sick. On our last trip the girl next to me asked for a vomit bag as soon as she sat down. This did not make me feel very comfortable. Planes do not have the healthiest environments.

Sunprincess 01-11-2005 06:15 PM

Rigid,
Good points! And so very true.
We just have to do what we can to control spread. Handwashing, covering your nose, mouth, etc.
Happy Cruising http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

rosey3 01-12-2005 02:55 AM

As i do not have much experience on US based ships i can only comment on what we do here in UK..
When checking in for cruise you are given said paper to sign to confirm all of your party is fit and well, if you cannot sign as someone is or has been unwell in last 48 hours you are taken aside and the staff still check you in, and you board the ship. However, you then have to spend the next couple of days in your cabin, you must spend at 24 hours in confinement AFTER illness has gone, ie if you were ill before boarding you would spend 24 hrs in cabin, If still ill, medical staff will make assessment. Fairly simple in most cases... if serious and they will not let you board, they have to give you written proof as to why and you must cancel at 100% loss, but claim through travel insurance.
Hope this is of some use, we found on our last cruise that most passengers were honest, who would want it on their conciense not to be!

Rosey

Oggy Boy 01-12-2005 09:28 AM

That is pretty much the way it works on most cruise lines in the U.S. as well. They will quarantine passengers until the virus passes. However, I have been on ships where the quarantine process was not utilized and the outbreak seemed to escalate much faster. Of course, many folks will not speak up if they realize they are going to be quarantined for 48 to 72 hours during their vacation.

It is a difficult situation and I think the best defense is being proactive in reducing the risk of exposure.

Tom

Luv2Cruis 01-12-2005 01:05 PM

Ridgid,
You are right in that people go to work, to school on a plane, to the mall, etc. when not feeling well. Each one of those cases can result in exposing others to infection, but it is a fact of life. I do not think that most people who have saved and planned for a trip would cancel if they found they weren't feeling well the morning of the trip. Tom's advice is good. Invariably there will be someone on any given cruise that came aboard ill, or fell ill shortly after boarding. Being proactive is the only line of defense. (Of course, I contend that my alcohol consumption on board aids in my defense - LOL).
Shelley

01-12-2005 01:14 PM

Shelley

THANK YOU so much for your post. My wife said to give her one good reason to drink, and now I have one. At least on cruises....

David Landry

NancyN 01-12-2005 03:05 PM

Shelley and David,
You have given me my "chuckle" for the day. It is always nice to have a reason to support my bad habits - I guess that means that I am being "Oh, so wise when I consume my fair share of wine on a cruise". <VBG>
Nancy

RIDGID 01-13-2005 02:53 PM

Part of the dilemma then is if you do not have travel insurance you lose. If you do have travel insurance what do you get reimbursed for. The cruise only or cruise and air?

To Dave and Shelly

A few years ago I had kidney stones. One of the ways recommended to prevent getting them again was to have a few beers to keep the kidneys flushed. At least it makes for a good excuse.