Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 AM

Has anyone encountered bed bugs on a cruise ship?
I was sailing on a cruise ship this year when a bed bug was found in between the sheets. It was horrible and I was bitten also before finding the bug in the bed.
I won't mention the cruise line. I have sailed on cruise ships for many years but this was a first.
Anyone else out there with a similar experience?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Never for me! My eyes aren't sharp enough to see a bed bug.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:57 AM

Lucky you. Its not a nice experience.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Never, our cabins have always been perfect. I would not expect to find them. I think the stewards do an excellent job.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM

Can it or does it occur? Yes, occasionally. It isn't a major problem across the cruise industry though.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Of course it can happen but the cruise lines do an excelent job in controlling it. I have seen them strip rooms of bedding and drapes and put in new beding at the home port.

Anytime you have 3000 new people each week like they do you can have someone bring them on board with them (they can get in luggage or clothing and get brought on board. But like I said, the cruise lines seem to be very diligent in controlling them when they find them. You can imagine the impact on their business if they didn't.

I hope you reported the problem to guest services. I bet if they had an open cabin they would have moved you.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 PM
On one of my cruises, I was walking through the hallway... (oops!) *"PASSAGEWAY" when I saw a bunch of mattresses wrapped in plastic lined-up along this passageway. They looked like they were brand new. Later that evening, some of my fellow tablemates at dinner mentioned that they also saw these same mattresses in the passageway, and thought it was strange to change-out mattresses in the middle of a cruise while out at sea. I had a sneaking suspicion that it was for the topic of this thread. I had it on the tip of my tongue and I wanted to mention it to the tablemates at that moment, but I decided not to.

Bed Bugs were almost irradicated in the 1970s thanks to the miracle insecticide "DDT". But ever since they banned the chemical (for good reasons), Bed Bugs have returned with a vengence. Unfortunately now, wherever you travel (on a cruiseship or hotel), you have to beware of them.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 PM

after almost 60 cruises I've never encountered the little blood suckers.

Sonny
Old 08-24-2010, 03:18 PM
It would be great if cruise ships could remain bed bug free but there is a possibility that things may worse.I am concerned about the battle New York is having with a huge increase in bed bugs causing stores to close for a while like Hollister in soho,Abercrombe and Fitch & a Victorias Secret outlet + many other stores.They have set up a Bed Bug Advisory Board and this seems to be a serious problem in New York.The city had 11,000 reports of bed bugs last year ( Huffington Post 21st Aug ) and there must have been thousands more not reported.

So maybe we should think carefully before we decide to book a cruise departing from New York and maybe anyone from New York going on a cruise should have their staterooms specially inspected after the first night to check if any bed bugs came with them....( only joking )

Extermination company Terminix has said New York is the most bed bug city in the USA and Terminix said the bugs are particularly fond of hotels, and cruise ships so I might be a little bit worried If I'm in the dining room or bar area with someone from New York and they start scratching.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
Of course it can happen but the cruise lines do an excelent job in controlling it. I have seen them strip rooms of bedding and drapes and put in new beding at the home port.

Anytime you have 3000 new people each week like they do you can have someone bring them on board with them (they can get in luggage or clothing and get brought on board. But like I said, the cruise lines seem to be very diligent in controlling them when they find them. You can imagine the impact on their business if they didn't.

I hope you reported the problem to guest services. I bet if they had an open cabin they would have moved you.

Tags
2011, beach, bed, bedbug, bedbugs, bug, bugs, cruise, cruises, hollister, myrtle, problem, reports, ship, ships