Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2002, 03:46 PM

My husband and I are taking our 3 children (4, 9 and 13) on their first cruise. We will be flying into Miami Int'l Airport in the evening and leaving from Port of Miami the next day. We don't want to mess around with car rentals. Which hotel would be best to stay at for the night? Do any provide both airport and port transportation? We want things to be simple...it's hectic enough with the 3 kids flying in from Montana! Thanks!
Old 07-15-2002, 03:46 PM

My husband and I are taking our 3 children (4, 9 and 13) on their first cruise. We will be flying into Miami Int'l Airport in the evening and leaving from Port of Miami the next day. We don't want to mess around with car rentals. Which hotel would be best to stay at for the night? Do any provide both airport and port transportation? We want things to be simple...it's hectic enough with the 3 kids flying in from Montana! Thanks!
Old 07-16-2002, 09:21 AM

I have been doing some research on this topic. Miami hotels that offer "free shuttle service" from the airport are on/very near the airport.
So far, I have not found a hotel that offers a "free shuttle service" to the port. But, you might want to select a hotel near the port [$20 taxi ride]so there will be things for the children to see and do. At this time, I would suggest you try the Best Western Marina, ask for a Bay View [the children can see the cruise ships] and the hotel is across the street from the Big Market. There you can spend some time walking around and people watching. You can take the boat tour [$5] and see the homes of the Rich and Famous in Miami. But, I never found a hotel that offered both shuttles.
Maureen
Old 07-21-2002, 09:58 AM

In March 2001, our family of 5 also went on a cruise out of Miami. The one thing I've noticed about Miami is that there is a set taxi fare from the airport to the pier, but NOT from your hotel to the pier. You should negotiate this amount prior to getting your cab and ensure you request a van. Another option is booking the Miami Super Shuttle. This can be done ahead of time and it is set at US$50 one way. The # is 1-800-874-8885.
My best bet would be to book a hotel within walking distance to Bayside Marketplace with shuttle service from the airport, and then get a taxi van to the pier. Check out the internet and call the hotel to find out if they offer shuttle service. This will save some bucks.

In coming back, you can always purchase transfers from the port to the airport again from the cruise line. Just ask at either the Shore Excursions desk or the Purser's desk when on board. It is very difficult sometimes to get a van at Miami pier, especially when there are a lot of other cruise ships in port. If you do decide to go this route, one adult will need to be a runner, the other adults stays with all the luggage and the kids. The runner then grabs a taxi van at the curb.

I think the taxi experience in Miami was one of the worst experiences about the cruise. We will be going again next March and will be handling things a bit different (this time with 6 people).
Have a great cruise!
Old 07-21-2002, 02:01 PM

The Days Inn North at the Miami Airport (on NW 36th St) provides free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel AND also a free shuttle to the Port of Miami. Their prices are very reasonable and they have a very nice pool. It is probably the easiest hotel to stay at with 3 children in tow. Hope this helps -
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-22-2002, 08:04 AM

Thanks! We'll check that one out, too!
Old 08-08-2002, 02:43 PM

Howard Johnsons - Hotel port of Miami
located cross street from port of Miami this Hotel offers a "free shuttle service" to the port. Rate per night is $67.96, and the contact number is 303-358-3080.
Or you could name your own hotel price at priceline.com, I have found the 3-stars upscale hotel (Sheraton Biscayne Bay) at downtown Miami for only $45.00 per night. Ensure to select Miamia downtow area because it is only a few miles to port of Miami.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread

Tags
catch, cruise, fl, free, hotel, hotels, located, miami, people, pier, port, ship, shuttles, stay, taking