Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 05:23 AM

I have only had one bad experience with tablemates.

Last year I was aboard Costa Allegra. I travel alone and so it can be a bit of fun and games as to who you end up dining with. Anyway initially all was well, I was placed on a table for 8 and just 2 turned up. The two gentlemen were really very nice and for the first couple of nights we three were fine. They asked if I would mind if they asked two couples that they had met at the pre-cruise hotel to join us, I said OK, no harm in that.

Over the course of the next 6 nights the problems gradually got worse. I was talked over, through, round and generally ignored...except when I shared my birthday champagne of course.

I can put up with alot of things but the last straw was in the bar before evening meal one evening. I walked towards the dining room and there they sat...one husband in a voice loud enough for me to hear 'oh look there it is again' aimed at me and his eyes looking right at me.

Had a quick word with the maitre d' and he moved me to another table for the remainder of the cruise...he did mention that his waitstaff had commented on the problems and that they were amazed how much ignorance I had put up with before moving.
1971 - P&O Oriana
1972 - SS France
1975 - SS Leopard
1977 - P&O Canberra
2005 - NCL Norwegian Jewel - Shakedown Cruise - Jersey
2005/6 - NCL Norwegian Crown - Chile, Cape Horn, Falkland Islands, Uruguay & Argentina
2006 - Fred Olsen Braemar Mini Cruise - Amsterdam & Zeebrugge
2007 - Fred Olsen Braemar Transatlantic - Jamaica, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda & Azores
2007 - Fred Olsen Braemar Mini Cruise - Guernsey & Amsterdam
2007 - NCL Norwegian Gem - Shakedown Cruise - Amsterdam
2008 - Costa Allegra - Hong Kong, Philippines, Borneo, Brunei, Singapore, Saigon, Da-Nang & Sanya

02/04/2010 - Costa Allegra - 39 Night Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Belawan, Langkawi, Phuket, Colombo, Cochin, Goa, Mumbai, Muscat, Salalah, Aden, Safaga, Aqaba, Sharm el Sheikh, Alexandria, Civitavecchia, Savona, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Ajaccio & (back to) Civitavecchia
Old 05-16-2009, 06:14 AM

Smiffy, that sounds dreadful. Did you have to see any of them during the rest of the cruise?

Sandy
Old 05-16-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
Smiffy, that sounds dreadful. Did you have to see any of them during the rest of the cruise?

Sandy
Thankfully no....Allegra is small but big enough not to bump into those who you would rather avoid (especially if you really want to punch them on the nose for being so rude).
1971 - P&O Oriana
1972 - SS France
1975 - SS Leopard
1977 - P&O Canberra
2005 - NCL Norwegian Jewel - Shakedown Cruise - Jersey
2005/6 - NCL Norwegian Crown - Chile, Cape Horn, Falkland Islands, Uruguay & Argentina
2006 - Fred Olsen Braemar Mini Cruise - Amsterdam & Zeebrugge
2007 - Fred Olsen Braemar Transatlantic - Jamaica, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda & Azores
2007 - Fred Olsen Braemar Mini Cruise - Guernsey & Amsterdam
2007 - NCL Norwegian Gem - Shakedown Cruise - Amsterdam
2008 - Costa Allegra - Hong Kong, Philippines, Borneo, Brunei, Singapore, Saigon, Da-Nang & Sanya

02/04/2010 - Costa Allegra - 39 Night Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Belawan, Langkawi, Phuket, Colombo, Cochin, Goa, Mumbai, Muscat, Salalah, Aden, Safaga, Aqaba, Sharm el Sheikh, Alexandria, Civitavecchia, Savona, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Ajaccio & (back to) Civitavecchia
Old 05-16-2009, 07:33 AM

I can't believe the behavior of some people. It makes you want to believe that karma is real and that they will eventually get their comeuppance.

I am sorry you had to endure that, but happy that you at least got to enjoy a couple of dinners.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-16-2009, 08:51 AM

On our last Carnival cruise we were sat at a table with 2 other couples. They had never met before but when they found out that they both came from the deep south of the US we were out of it. They only spoke to each other, which was just as well as we could not understand a word they said. (this,of course was our problem not theirs) Across from our table another 2 tables were filled with 16 young people in basketball gear. The staff spent most of their time explaining how to behave at table and what the cutlery was for. They still used their hands and threw food back and forth.
After that cruise we realised that we were on the wrong cruise line and moved to Princess where we have met many brilliant new friends.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Smiffy and esrosa, I cannot believe that those tablemates were that rude. It amazes me and makes me wonder how they were brought up.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I once had an absolutely abominable tablemate on a Carnival cruise aboard the Mardi Gras!

The solution was quite easy........ I divorced her!!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 AM

That's the way to do it!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 AM

I had taken my daughter on a cruise for her 16th birthday so it was just the two of us. The people we sat with barely spoke to us & then you would see the one girl make faces at the others. We were never rude so I guess they thought they were better than us. The one night my daughter caught her with one of those faces & just glared at her. Boy was it fun to see her squirm! I also didn't like the way they treated the waite staff, always had a problem with something. I made it very clear to the staff that we were not with them nor did I agree with how they were behaving. I should have switched tables but didn't.

This year I had already decided that if the table mates were bad I was moving. Luckily they were wonderful!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Sounds like we will have very bad table mates on our next cruise. Here is the story.
We are book on our Alaska Cruise with some very good friends. We have been looking forward to it. They were to be here about a week before the cruise, then we would take a casual drive up 101 to Vancouver.
Well one of them has developed a medical problem that might prevent them from going. No they do not have trip insurance. They are thinking about doing a name change and giving the cruise to here sister, not a problem here. However the sister is married to the biggest Horse's (I had better not). There is no way I am taking a week ccar trip then a cruise with him.

Help

Closed Thread

Tags
bad, carnival, couple, cruise, dining, hookup, pettys, richard, riunite, share, sharing, ship, ships, table, tablemates, tables, wine