Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 03:00 PM

A topic is running in the Carnival section about being "stuck" with strange or bad table mates for dinner. If you have an experience you care to share this is the correct place to do so-

I'll continue with my example-
We were at a table with 3 other couples. One of the couples were very rude. The husband was from a country that believes that only their "homeland" is good enough to considered civilized (despite that they were currently living in the United States) Almost every night of the cruise he would make some comment that shocked the rest of us. near the middle of the cruise we had arrived early and I told our female head waiter that she was not to think that Americans all have the same racial views as he express because it wasn't true. I've never felt the need to make such a statement before or since... We were all very happy on the nights they did not come to dinner.

Oh and then there was this strange group we sat with on our Holiday cruise last July...talk about a bunch of nut jobs... oopps.. that was the Cruise Chat cruise... Just Kidding!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
Oh and then there was this strange group we sat with on our Holiday cruise last July...talk about a bunch of nut jobs... oopps.. that was the Cruise Chat cruise... Just Kidding!

I have always had excellent luck with tablemates. Even the excessively heavy drinkers that we have been paired with provided us some humorous memories. There is one occasion that sticks out in my mind on one of our Mediterranean cruises a couple of years ago. We were seated at a table of six but the second night of the cruise, we were all alone. We began to feel a little self conscious. I checked to make sure that I was wearing deodorant, my napkin was in my lap, my elbows were off the table. Come to find out, the other four table mates decided to switch to an early seating. Anyways, on the fourth night another couple was seated with us. They explained that every dinner they had up until then was miserable. They were the only two people at their table who spoke ONLY English. The other six people at their table spoke more than one language and they would often point at this couple and openly mock them in another language (that will remain anonymous). Humiliated, they spoke with the maitre d' and they ended up with us. We had the best time together and are planning a cruise together this fall.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM

That's great DrL. It never ceases to amaze me about how many great people we have meet at dinner. We have kept in touch with a couple of table mates but nothing that lasted more than a year or so. Its great that you found people you can cruise with.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 PM

We have good to great table mates on our cruises.We did have one lady at our table a few years ago on a Carnival ship that for the first couple nights kept talking about how great RCCI is to sail on.Finally one night I ask her if RCCI was so great,why was she on a Carnival ship?She said because of the price.We never heard anymore about RCCI.Her hubby even looked at me when I ask her that and smiled at me.She was a good table mate after that.
CCL Elation 2005
CCL Pride 2006
RCCI Splendor 2006
RCCI Serenade Hawaii 2007
RCCI Serenade Alaska 2008
CCL Ecstasy 2008
RCCI AOS 2009
RCCI Voyager 2009
CCL Conquest 2010
CCL Ecstasy 2010
Old 03-31-2009, 10:48 PM

The "bride" I mentioned in the Carnival section was worse than I said. She kept telling everyone she worked as a receptionist at a travel agency and kept bragging what she paid for the cruise.

I just kept my mouth shut and laughed inside. They were on the Riviera deck with the same cabin type I had on Empress deck for much less. I love meeting new people, nothing gets on my nerves worse than people that complain about everything and brag though. Not to mention being rude and obnoxious to the service staff.

Dwayne
Old 04-01-2009, 06:33 AM

we have had really great table mates most of the time. The only other time we have had a problem with a table mate was on a 5 day cruise out of Jacksonville a few yrs ago.
there was a man (notice i didnt say gentleman) cruising alone that was seated at our table. He was a bit rude and crude but I could handle that. What upset me tho was at dinner on the 3rd night be decided to share with the table that he just didnt know what he was going to do being without his wife so long because they have a very active life in the bedroom and then looked at me...(I travel with my sister) and wanted to know if wanted to help him out. OH MY GOODNESS. I was so upset, so upset. first off I never ever ever act in a way someone would think i am not happily married, and it was just plain rude.
Well we had a Minister at our table who immediately stepped in and called him on his behavior.The Minister also went to the matre de and the rude crude man was moved to another table.
other then our first cruise where our tablemates totally ignored us and the rude, nasty man we have had great tablemates. We still e - mail the minister often...
Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
Not to mention being rude and obnoxious to the service staff.
Dwayne
You hit on one of my major pet peeves. Being rude to people who are trying to serve you will get under my skin instantly.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 AM

OMG! You've all brought back many bad memories! Our very first cruise was in celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary back in 2003 aboard the Carnival Victory with our 13 year old daughter in tow.

Our first night in I was wearing a stunning, very expensive midnight blue silk pantsuit. Felt very swish and excited. Our daughters have all be raised in fine dining arrangements so her behaviour/European manners were impeccable. Could not same the same for the West Virigina pig farmers we were were seated with at the late dining! All ate with their mouths hanging wide open! All used their cutlery as if pinning run-away dinner down! Clothes were crumpled and sweaty-smelly! But the absolute worst? Their 14 year old daughter ignored her family and moved her chair as close to me as was humanly possible and proceeded to tell me all about her life. By the end of the meal my suit, hair (waist length) and shoulder were soaked in spittle and food particles. I've never been assaulted by something so awful in my life. I've never managed to get the suit back on either. I'm going to try to wear it again on our Princess Emerald transatlantic cruise this April. We informed the maitre'd immediately who (after some argument) moved us. Thankfully we managed to avoid these awful people the rest of the cruise and have NEVER gone near a Carnival ship since. I don't like Carnival. Classless service and classless clients.

The next night we managed to hook up with a wonderful British couple we met on this chatboard and stayed with them the rest of the cruise! Stayed in touch to this day with them!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I don't like Carnival. Classless service and classless clients.

The next night we managed to hook up with a wonderful British couple we met on this chatboard
Obviously not all clients on Carnival, nor any other cruise line, should be painted with the same brush.

Sandy
Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 AM

We have been pretty lucky. One male we had at the table on a Princess cruise was the epitomy of rude, crude, and totally unacceptable. He was so hateful to our waiter and assistant. I couldn't hold my tongue any longer and was about to unload when another gentleman at our table stepped in. This gentleman was alone, I'd guess in his late 70s, early 80s, his wife had passed about 6 months prior to the cruise. He had gone as a promise to his wife and could no longer take his behavior. After that night, he never showed up at the table again. We all apologized to the waiter and assistant for him, and tipped extra for the cruise. We've also had some very "unique" individuals. The guy in the tutu and ballet slippers with flowers in his hair was one I'll never forget. And the always late couple, she could never decide on what to order after making them at least 15 minutes late each evening. And the drunk couple, she literally passed out at the table one night. But they've all be fun, except that one guy!

Oh yes, there was that Holiday cruise

Closed Thread

Tags
bad, carnival, couple, cruise, dining, hookup, pettys, richard, riunite, share, sharing, ship, ships, table, tablemates, tables, wine