Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM

If we are leaving from San Juan and our first stop is St. Thomas, do we have to go through immigration that morning (we are US citizens) in St Thomas, since we aren't leaving the US?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM

If we are leaving from San Juan and our first stop is St. Thomas, do we have to go through immigration that morning (we are US citizens) in St Thomas, since we aren't leaving the US?
Golden Princess - March 2003
Disney Magic - October 1998
Old 01-11-2005, 06:11 PM

I do not recall having to do this.

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 01-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

The only time you have to go thru immigrations is when the trip is over and you are leaving the ship in the US. We have never had to go thru any immigration at any port. There have been times when we had to pass by guards with automatics but never had to produce any ID.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:06 PM

RIGID,

No, that's not what I mean. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but it's when you're on the boat and arrive in St Thomas from a non-US port. For example, if your first stop is St Martin and then you go to St Thomas for the 2nd stop, everyone has to show their passports onboard, before anyone can leave the ship in port. We had to do it on our March 2003 cruise when we went to St Martin and then to St Thomas (re-entering the US requires this).

So, if St Thomas is the first stop (from San Juan), do you have to go through this process?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:33 AM
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by snickerd:
Nice! I really meant to use "their" properly. Oops!

Snickerd

When you make a spelling, grammar, or typing mistake you can always edit it by clicking on the edit icon that is the middle one with the pencil eraser. I do this a lot. It always looks differnet after being posted.

Maybe each cruise line has their own policy but we have sailed the eastern, western and southern Carribean and after filling out immigration papers prior to the cruise we never had to go thru them again until the cruise was over. The cruise sail and sign card (room access card)is basically used for this when you sign in and out of the ship. When off the ship all you need is your room card, cash and a credit card. No other ID is needed.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:16 PM

RIGID,

Thanks for the advice - I haven't been on long and don't know how to use everything yet.

We went on Princess to the Eastern Caribbean. We went to St Martin and then to St Thomas. The morning we arrived at St Thomas, there were US immigration personnel that came on board, and we had to show them our passports (not when we were leaving, but in another area of the boat). No one could get off the boat until this was completed by everyone.

It was a quick process for us, but I have heard from others that it was a nightmare. So, it would be great if we could avoid it.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:40 PM

If you're going to call at St. Thomas as the next port after San Juan, you shouldn't have to go through the immigration procedure you described, as both are US ports. However, if St. Thomas is later in a so. Carib. cruise, you probably will. I'll know from personal experience in a few weeks!
Old 01-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Banned

Snickerd

Your last post jogged my memory. You are right about going thru immigrations. The immigration officers came on board ship. Everyone had to be processed before anyone could leave the ship. We were assigned time slots according to either our last name or cabin decks. We then walked to and thru a lounge. The process went very fast. You went thru about as fast as you could walk. I now remember the officer looking at my passport and then at me. I then took my hat off so he could see my bald head. He really got a kick out of that and laughed saying he never had anyone do that before and how it made his day. It is nothing to be concerned about.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:59 AM

Thanks. Yeah, it was easy the one time we did it, but it would be nice to be able to avoid it, which is why I was wondering about the need to do it if St Thomas as the first stop.

Thanks all for your replies!

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, debarkation, immigration, immigrations, saint, ship, st, thomas