Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Hello Everyone:

I just finished reading this interesting article on Yahoo. Click on this link to read it too:
10 Things Cruise Lines Won't Tell You
Old 02-20-2010, 12:47 PM
My honest opinion is that this article must have been written by a person with some bad experiences on his or hers cruise. Or are they assuming their readers to be stupid?

1. "Our Engines Break Down All the Time."

- Ship's engines are made by humans and is being operated by humans. As all of us now, bein human is being imperfect. And honestly, after being more than three years on different cruise ships, they don't break down all the time. And when they do, it's not like one can call a service engineer to show up half an hour later.

But most people does understand that.

2. "The Weather Might Mean Missed Stops."

I wonder what passengers prefer - an extra day at sea, or a damaged cruise because the captain took an higher risk than what was wise. Most of the time it's best to thrust the captain. The companu thrusts him their ship, so he is not just anyone picked up from the street.

And I believe most people are aware of that weather can changed without prediction. But when the weather is predictable in due time such as most hurricanes, alternative iteniraries are made.

3. "This Ship Is a Health Hazard -- It's Just Crawling With Viruses."

So are hotels, malls, stadiums, even hospitals or anywhere else large amounts of living organisms are gathered.

4. "Sure, We Can Take Care of Your Plane Reservations, but You'd Do a Whole Lot Better on Your Own."

It's a cruise line, not a travel agency. But it''s true, it's cheaper and easier to organize your flight yourself with a thing called the internet

5. "Think Everything's Included? Think Again."

You get what youre paying for. But if you compare it to a week at a hotel ashore, I'm sure most of the cruise line are winning when it comes to pricing.

6. "Our 'Gourmet' Food Is Anything But."
Again, you get what you're paying for. This goes for everything in life. On the other hand, even on mass tourism cruises the dining is far more luxurious than most guest are used to at home.

7. "We Make Money While You're Off the Ship, Too."
One of the reasons a cruise is getting cheaper and cheaper is that cruise lines are making revenue elsewhere. Nobody is putting a gun to your head when it comes to taking excursions. It's an offer to those who prefer to sit down and relax and not take the trouble to organize things themselves. Others like to organize and explore on their own and nobody is making you walk the plank because of that

8. "Our Insurance? You're Better Off Looking Elsewhere."
I'm the first one to admit I'm not an insurance expert. But I'm sure I and most of my fellow human beings are smart enough to read the conditions of a travel insurance (or anything else) before I buy one

9. "Our Ads Might Say Champagne and Caviar, but Expect Beer and Pretzels."
Unfortunatley there are some - not many - that have paid USD 250 for a weeks cruise and think they are getting a royal treatment.

10. "Our Ship Is Fancy, but Don't Expect Service to Match."

Again and again, you get what you pay for

I think most of the cruisers know what they are to expect when thay have bought a cruise. Cruises comes in all categories - from mass tourism for the "common masses" (like myself ) to exclusive yacht clubs for those who sails through life on first class. Everything have a price tag.

Most of the cruisers comes back from their cruises with their expectations fulfilled and even more. A few are very unlucky - most of because of several circumstances that are acting togehter... as they tend to do in our imperfect world..

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator

I note they quote Ross Klein in that article, and as most people know he has built a career out of bashing cruising and hyping every little thing that happens on a cruise as a major disaster. I've often thought of launching a counter-website to his, where I'd note every little thing that happens at land-based resorts and hotels. The problem would be having enough time to catalog those problems, which no doubt tower above all the little glitches that happen to cruise ships during a year.

It is usually cheaper to do your own air and buy your own travel insurance. Again, no surprise to the average cruiser who has done more than a couple cruises.

Service on a ship has always been "fancy" enough to suit me. What's the author expecting, every waiter to speak like an English butler and wear a tie and tails?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I think lots of times results are based on knowing the difference between 'server' and 'servant'. I've been on 4 different lines and found all the staff to be pleasant and efficient. But they deserve respect and if you want extra from them, you should give them extra.
Again, as Svein said 'you get what you pay for'

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 02-20-2010, 03:36 PM

There are better insurance plans through third party. But it should be noted that taking the cruise line insurance is better than none at all.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 PM

wouldnt matter to me wheather they told me or not, I would still cruise.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Most regular cruisers know most of this, and what is fact versus exaggeration. Every cruise I've been on the "Ticket Contract" has noted the possibility of port cancellations.

I've worked in a few land based Hotel Food & Beverage departments, as well as restaurants. I can say that it is extremely difficult to attain a 100% inspection score from DHEC or the CDC. The Carnival Splendor recently received it's third consecutive 100% score from the USPH. Look here.

I wish Hotels bleached and sanitized public areas as much as the cruise lines do.

Dwayne
Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 AM
Dwayne,
You are so right. I think everytime someone hit the elevator button a cruise worker was wiping it down. I have yet to walk into a restaurant and have someone standing there with hand sanitizer or even see the free standing ones.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 AM
I've said it once, and I've said it twice,

"There is no such thing as a BAD cruise, some are just better than others"......nuff said....

Bob E
Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 AM

Svein, your answers to each point were exactly right. Thanks for taking the time to address each point.

It should be pointed out, too, that a lot of the problems passengers experience are due to unreasonable expectations.

Closed Thread

Tags
breaks, cruise, cruises, destinations, dont, insurance, lift, line, lines, party, things, time, travel, whazt, worker, workler