Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2002, 10:37 AM

Ok, here's the deal - my girlfriend and I need a week off to enjoy the sun (winter is sometimes cold). We are
toying with the idea of taking a cruise this winter. Any and I mean any; recommendations would be extremely
helpful!

Our profile:
- Young professionals in our 20's.
- Looking for sun and warm weather
- Not looking to break the bank
- Activities must be plentiful

Thanks for your help!

Melbatoast
Old 08-13-2002, 10:37 AM

Ok, here's the deal - my girlfriend and I need a week off to enjoy the sun (winter is sometimes cold). We are
toying with the idea of taking a cruise this winter. Any and I mean any; recommendations would be extremely
helpful!

Our profile:
- Young professionals in our 20's.
- Looking for sun and warm weather
- Not looking to break the bank
- Activities must be plentiful

Thanks for your help!

Melbatoast
Old 08-13-2002, 05:13 PM

For some of the more active lines you may want to consider Carnival or Royal Caribbean. Especially considering your age. You will find all ages on any ship but on those two lines the majority of passengers may be in your age range and a more active crowd.

Carnival likes to hold a lot of activities as well as water slides on some of the ships and Royal Caribbean bigger ships like Voyager of the Seas have the rock climbing walls, skating rinks and roller blade tracks.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:09 PM

You should be aware that Carnival requires at least one person age 25 or over per cabin. Will only make exception for honeymooning couples. If you are under 25, check out Royal Caribbean. If over - either one would be enjoyable, depends on what interests you.
Karen
Old 08-14-2002, 09:32 AM

I agree with the others that Royal Caribbean may be the way to go. I've traveled with them and there was lots to do.

I notice you're from Ottawa, and that's my home town! I understand wanting to get away in the winter. I live in Vancouver now, much better to handle!

Terry
Old 08-23-2002, 12:19 AM

If you are like us, we are open to all destinations. There's a lot of world to see, and we want to see it all.

We are a bit older than you are in our thirties but most people cannot tell. We are extremely active. We've been cruising for a couple of years now and have cruised with fellow passengers 20 to 40 years older. Age was never a consideration when choosing a line... however, we are finding out that many lines that cater to older individuals usually organize events that are a bit more subdued. Not active enough for our tastes.

Nevertheless, it really depends on the number of days at sea versus the number of days at port. If you are visiting a different destination every day, then it doesn't matter what cruise line you go on. You'll be visiting destinations that will become as active as you would like. Go for the highest quality cruise you can afford.

However, the more days you think you'll be on board, the more you should think about what organized activities the ship provides.

I'm not much of a Carnival fan... I'm sure many are but I just think the meals are average and the whole experience as mediocre. Royal Carribean's ships with the rock wall and the such may be a better choice both activity-wise and financially.

I have never been, but I heard Windstar cruises are quite fun. They are more intimate and will travel into ports others cannot. They also have some great activities, much like RCL. But, you are looking at a more high-priced sort of experience. There are deals they offer (like free-air, extra days on land, etc.), so be on the look out. Also, check out their site and get on their mailing list (not that I advocate mailing lists). We are on it and they send us now and again some incredible deals (like free air to tahiti which can offset costs... I don't know what that means flying out of Ottawa).

Best shop around online for various cruises like Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, etc. Print out what you like and see if a local (or not so local) travel agent will match or better the price. I do this a lot and find that I prefer travel agents in the long run over online bookings. Travel agents can get you things like shipboard credits and personalizations that online companies can't necessarily do.

I hope this helps. There are more tips and tricks that I would like to learn myself, and continue to learn as I travel. Travelling is also a great networking tool and I have met and stayed in contact with people from all over the world. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Enjoy!

CJ
Old 08-25-2002, 07:33 AM

Read with interest previous comments about a winter cruise. As far as Carnival is concerned, it is not necessarily true that you must have someone in the cabin who is 25 years of age or older. This rule applies ONLY if one of the passengers has not reached the age of 21. If both of you are at least 21 on the day of embarkation, it is ok for you to sail. This ruling is also applied by RCL. The only exception to these rulings are if you are married. Special rules apply in that situation.

As to which ship to go on; I recommend any of the 'Voyager' class ships which offer just about everything a young couple could hope for, and I know you will appreciate RCL's high level of service. Young people also appreciate Carnival and for a fun time I would recommend the 'Victory or the 'Triumph'.

At this time, RCL is offering great pricing so go for it. If you need any more info. send me an e-mail. Cruiseman
Old 09-09-2002, 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tango55:
I agree with the others that Royal Caribbean may be the way to go. I've traveled with them and there was lots to do.

I notice you're from Ottawa, and that's my home town! I understand wanting to get away in the winter. I live in Vancouver now, much better to handle!

Terry

not to be hold
Old 09-12-2002, 06:07 PM

My niece and her girl friend went on Carnival Paradise lst March and had a blast - note: the Paradise is 100% smoke free - so if you are smokers - forget it...they went on a Western Caribbean itinerary - Grand Caymon - Ocho Rios - Cozumel -- they had an excellent time and had nothing but good things to say about the Paradise and Carnival in general. Carnival or RCCL ?? It all depends on what your interests are - for a first cruise, they would both be a good start. O hope you go - and I know you'll have a great time...Bob
Old 09-18-2002, 10:23 AM

I would ABSOLUTELY recommend taking the Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean. I did it two years ago...a group of 11 all in our 20's...and it was AWESOME. The ports are great and the Western itinerary tends to draw a younger crowd.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruises, professionals, young