Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2004, 10:22 AM

Is it wiser to reserve shore escursions before hand, or will I be able to sign for excursions when I get off at the ports(Cozumel & Grand Cayman). Have you seen people get left out from doing excursions because of no prior reservations? What's recommended?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:22 AM

Is it wiser to reserve shore escursions before hand, or will I be able to sign for excursions when I get off at the ports(Cozumel & Grand Cayman). Have you seen people get left out from doing excursions because of no prior reservations? What's recommended?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:19 AM

If you are going to sign up for excursions with the cruise line you must do it early. The most desirable ones book up early. You can also arrange through the internet to do excursions on your own. Many people do this to save money, however I have never tried it. The biggest advantage to booking through the cruise line is they guarentee to have you back at the ship in time for sailing (a very important comfort factor).
Some cruise lines will let you book on line prior to the cruise, so if you know what you want to do, book on their website and you will know if you can get the excursion. Anyway, bottom line is book as soon as you can to ensure you get the exursion and time you want. P.S. read port reviews. Depending what you like the "Snorkle with the Sting Rays" in Grand Cayman is really great. As for Cozumel, if you only want to snorkle, take a cab to Chankunab State Park. I have not done this but I understand it is great. It's a short cab ride and entrance to the park is only $10.00. You can also rent snorkling equipment and snorkle from the beach.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:25 PM

Thanks, that was very helpful. We leave july 5th on the sensation. Ever been on it?
Old 03-30-2004, 08:30 PM

I'm going on the Sensation on May 10 on same itinery. I have already been to grand cayman and cozumel last year on Explorer of seas w/RC. In Grand Cayman, we waited until we got off the ship at the dock and booked the stingray city & snorkel w/a local operator. It cost $25. each, (was w/my husband and 2 kids, 19 & 21) and it was great because we were on a small boat w/like a dozen people, snorkeled for 1/2 hr then did stingray city for like 1/2 hr. It is really neat, a sandbar in meddle of the ocean about waist deep and all these stingrays. Wheather you do in thru the ship excursions or on your own, it is great. In Cozumel, you can rent mopeds for $25./day, or rent a jeep/vw bug for $35ish, and drive around the island, can't get lost. The east coast is the most gorgeous I've seen. Playa Sol is on west coast is a nice beach area, and you can snorkel there to see some things. Make sure you don't miss Carlos and Charlies bar, everyone there is drunk and it is fun just to watch them. Really funny. Hope this helps, and have fun!
Old 03-31-2004, 03:47 PM

About the mopeds. I read in a port review that it's not recommended due to the dangers, but they did'nt state the dangers. Anybody have any ideas? Recommended or not?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:32 PM

They say it is dangerous because of all the increased traffice on the island. The sensation will dock at the internatinal pier, which is 3 mi. south of San Miguel town, you can rent mopeds right there, they were $35. for the day, and you must wear a helmet. If you drive south, there will be very little traffic, then the road narrows to just 2 lanes, almost looks like 1 lane. There are signs for Playa Sol beach and Playa San Francisco, 1 cost $5. adimission, can't remember which. Stop at the free one, beach is gorgeous. The bar on the beach has swings instead of barstools. Then continue driving south, and the road will turn left to the east, there is only 1 road around the island, can't get lost. My 19yr old son and I took turns driving the moped, and my 21yr old daughter and husband took turns driving. The east coat of cozumel is beautiful. There are a few little bars/food stops along the way and many photo opportunities. Take your backpack, and some bottled water along w/you. Once you hit the northernmost stop on the east coast, the road goes directly west, across the middle of the island and right back to town. You can opt to turn around and go back the way you came, or drive into town. The mopeds are lots of fun, but they only go about 35-40mph, so it takes some time to drive the island. Since this will be our third visit to the island, we are going w/a jeep, or vwbug, to speed driving time up. Check out this web site for more information: www.travelnotes.cc and click on cruise passengers, and cozumel for information. Hope this will help you out. I can't wait to be on sea again! Sorry this is so long.

Closed Thread

Tags
cayman, chankunab, escursions, excursions, grand, granf, jossy, money, moped, mopeds, piers, rent, save, shore, suggested