Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 AM

They obviously will deduct $10/person per day for tips. I always felt like $10 per couple isn't quite enough, but the tip for the chambermaid is a bit high. If I tell them to take the tip off my SIGN AND SAIL and do it personally, like I've done several times, does the crew know that the tips are NOT on the account? Just curious.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 AM

$10 per person per day is $20 per couple not $10. By Chambermaid you mean Cabin Steward? Their cut is $3.50 a day per person($7.00 per couple or cabin). It is my understanding they receive a list of those that have pre-paid gratuities and the automatic gratuities.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 AM

Thanks CruiseFanatic. What I meant was the $10/day for your waiter. I think he/she is well worth it, if not more. Cabin steward I'm not so sure unless they did something special for me. I just think it's more personal to give them something personally rather than just a deduction on the sign and sail account.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Plus there are assistants helping the cabin attendants. They get a cut of the gratuities from the attendant they are assigned to help.

If someone adjusts downward or removes the automatic tipping the affected personnel will know about it fairly quickly. In fact last year someone posted a photo taken in a crew area on a Carnival ship. It was of a list of cabin numbers that had removed or adjusted auto-tips downward.

I don't think $7 a day is excessive for someone to scrub my toilet at least twice a day, clean the tub, dust and vacuum, make the bed, change sheets, turn down the bed, etc.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
I don't think $7 a day is excessive for someone to scrub my toilet at least twice a day, clean the tub, dust and vacuum, make the bed, change sheets, turn down the bed, etc.
Now if I could get someone at home to do all that for $7 p/d plus the chocolate on my pillow I would be one happy camper

Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PA Steve Rocky Mount:
Thanks CruiseFanatic. What I meant was the $10/day for your waiter. I think he/she is well worth it, if not more. Cabin steward I'm not so sure unless they did something special for me. I just think it's more personal to give them something personally rather than just a deduction on the sign and sail account.
If you want to tip extra do so but cutting the tip to them is not a good thing
The steward does things that you may not even notice but if you cabin is clean & towels replaced it is well worth their share of the $10
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
I think it's fairly well known that Brits and Australians have a different view on tipping to that of Americans.So it is with interest I see the latest news from P&O.

P&O Cruises has responded to passenger feedback by eliminating automatic passenger tipping from its fleet.
From October 1, 2010 the recommended daily gratuity of $7.50 per passenger will no longer be automatically added to passengers’ onboard holiday accounts.
Guests will still have the option to reward P&O Cruises’ crew for exceptional service at their own discretion
I read about this from:
http://www.pocruises.com.au/Ab...well-to-tipping.aspx

I always pay the deductable gratuities when on a cruise but as some members of this forum may recall I am not in agreement with them I just have a different point of view.

I would be happy if all cruise ships followed P&Os example.

I am sure there will be some on here who may disagree but I respect their right to have a different viewpoint on this.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:49 PM

Princess Cruises still uses the automatic gratuities.
Anyone knows how they deal with 1st/last day?

Do they charge you for each night (which would be 7)
Or do they charge both departure day (evening) and arrival day (early morning)? (would make it 8)
Old 05-23-2011, 04:04 PM
The last day is not counted; a 7 day cruise is just that--7 days (or nights).

By the way, Princess just raised their auto tips: $11.50 per day for balconies and below and $12.00 per day for mini-suites and above.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Wow, this topic seems to come up a lot. I've always done the prepaid gratuities. On my first couple of cruises, I prepaid them once I got onboard by filling out the form at Guest Relations, and on my most recent cruise, I prepaid the gratuities when I made the reservation.

I find it easier to just do the prepaid gratuities, and if someone goes above and beyond, so to speak, I'll give them a little extra cash. An example was my "Enchantment of the Seas" cruise in 2009. At dinner on the third night of a five night cruise, my waitress already knew I wanted decaf coffee with whatever dessert I chose. I gave her a little extra in addition to the recommended amount, for having remembered that given all the passengers she takes care of during the cruise. She was also the greeter at the dining room for breakfast, and recognized me when I walked in every morning for breakfast.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)

Tags
automatic, cruise, daily, gratuity, marina, oceania, princess, room, service, tipping, tips, waiter