Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2004, 04:47 AM

Looking for some opinions. We are new to cruising. This will be our first. Problem is our budget it LOW! We've been told that we can afford a Sept Western Caribbean Cruise (Belize, Cozumel, Key West).
Can anyone share experiences during this month. Should we stay away and try to find a single destination more in our price range? Also, any ideas for a sunny vaca spot during July/August??
Old 06-07-2004, 04:47 AM

Looking for some opinions. We are new to cruising. This will be our first. Problem is our budget it LOW! We've been told that we can afford a Sept Western Caribbean Cruise (Belize, Cozumel, Key West).
Can anyone share experiences during this month. Should we stay away and try to find a single destination more in our price range? Also, any ideas for a sunny vaca spot during July/August??
Old 06-07-2004, 06:31 AM

Hi,

if you're new to cruising taking a short 3- or 4-night cruise is usually a good option. Popular destinations for short cruises from the U.S. include the Bahamas, the Western Caribbean, Baja Colifornia and Canada / New England.

You should note that September is Hurrican season in the Caribbean, with sometimes very high temperatures and high humidity.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 06-07-2004, 09:20 AM

I have cruised in the Western Caribbean several times during the month of September and never had a problem. Here is why. If there is activity while you are cruising, the ship knows exactly where it is and where it is going and they will avoid it. They would never put the ship at risk, much less the passengers. If it were a huge storm traversing the Western Caribbean, then they would change the itinerary to the Eastern Caribbean.

My experience has been that when there is a major storm in the Caribbean that once you are away from the storm, the ocean is dead calm.

The only other risk you run is the potential for clouds covering the sunshine, but that could happen at any time of the year.

I would say, go for it!

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 06-07-2004, 09:26 AM

Hi Tom,

yes, of course a possible change in itinerary is about the highest "risk" when taking a cruise during Hurricane season. But for a "cold-weather guy" like me the humid climate is a reason not to take a cruise in the Caribbean in July at August at least. I once did it and we had temperatures of more than 40C for the whole week.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 06-07-2004, 09:38 AM

Oh man! I got out my trusty weather guide book and see that September is by far the wettest month of the year with 20 days of precipitation. You are right about the heat and humidity.

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
baja, belize, bug, ca, caribbean, center, cruise, cruising, month, part, review, reviews, september, valley, western